Cambridge 340A
Mar 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4lane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for checking on that. I'll be interested in your conclusions, but afraid of an attack of upgradeitis if you find a real difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantetsuken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
me too. be interested in the impressions.

thanks
biggrin.gif

Sorry guys, Cosmophonic only has the 540A V2 in the store (which I bought). If I would have compared and heard a difference, I'm not sure if that would have been due to resistors vs. dedicated circuitry or the overall difference in design/power of the amps. So I don't know how meaningful that comparison would've been in terms of jack types. For overall sound, though, it would've been nice to do a side-by-side.

If it's worth anything, the bass (deep but not bloated) and highs (clean but not piercing) from the 540 (using the DT 770/80) were much more controlled and had greater soundstage than my Sony STR-D711 AV Reciever, but it is pretty old (15 years) but I think (maybe) it uses stepped down resistors:
IMG_1233.JPG

Maybe someone can get an idea of configuration from the picture of a 711 headphone jack (bottom board under the blue casing speaker switch).

I had set the 540 bass and treble controls to max but found there to be little difference between that setting and Direct Mode. Bass did deepen a bit when turning off direct mode. Couldn't hear much change for treble when doing that.

The Sony sounds quite mushy and constrained now that I've heard the 540. Listening to Deutsche Grammophon's Haydn - Symphony 94 - Karajan, I could hear greater detail and separation of instruments. When I popped in the Rhino remaster of the Foreigner album, I was hit by the wider soundstage over my Sony.

There is also not much of a comparison between the 540 and the LD MKV. The MKV sounds sounds distant and the bass, anemic compared to the 540.

So anyway, another apology. I know you were looking forward to a comparison between the 340 and 540.

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 32
No need to apologize. Not your fault they didn't have the 340A in stock. Thanks for the impressions of the 540A. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Now if I can just convince myself that you wouldn't have found any difference, then maybe I can save my wallet the expense of a new amp.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4lane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to apologize. Not your fault they didn't have the 340A in stock. Thanks for the impressions of the 540A. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Now if I can just convince myself that you wouldn't have found any difference, then maybe I can save my wallet the expense of a new amp.

Best way to end this dilemma is to find an audio store where you can demo the 540A. Technically, the 540A has a bit more power and greater range with bass and treble settings over the 340A, but I wouldn't shell out more cash simply over specs. If you're happy with the 340, stick with it. Forget about the what ifs.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #20 of 32
Well, I had a 540A and thought the HP out didn't sound good at all (compared to a higher end Adcom pre at the time with HP out). I upgraded to the 640A because I read the HP out uses the dedicated circuitry stated by others and it was definitely an improvement over the 540A. It is somewhat close to my Audio-gd C2C IMO which is saying something.
This is my opnion and experience.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had set the 540 bass and treble controls to max but found there to be little difference between that setting and Direct Mode. Bass did deepen a bit when turning off direct mode. Couldn't hear much change for treble when doing that.

Sorry, I don't understand this paragraph.
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I had a 540A and thought the HP out didn't sound good at all (compared to a higher end Adcom pre at the time with HP out). I upgraded to the 640A because I read the HP out uses the dedicated circuitry stated by others and it was definitely an improvement over the 540A. It is somewhat close to my Audio-gd C2C IMO which is saying something.

And so it goes on...and on...

In the next post someone will say he compared the 640A with 540A and found the latter superior. And then someone will say that when he and his friends did a direct comparison of all three, the 340A was clearly superior. Ah well...

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the 640 and I can't hear any change in the treble adjustments. I thought it was my aged hearing but you seem to be confirming my hearing is not at fault. Why would a useless treble be installed? According to the manual there is supposed to be a +7 db at 20,000.

The HP output is extremely smooth and clean -- non-fatiguing. However, some might say it lacked sparkle.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #24 of 32
Maybe those controls are for the speaker outputs only? The 540Av2 has caught my attention now, I'm planning on getting some passive speakers at some point.

Out of curiosity I hooked up my Senns to the home theater receiver (Onkyo SR-604) I have here. Put my Essence to shame =[ Now I'm confident that there's lots of room for improvement in amplification and these babies need it.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe those controls are for the speaker outputs only? The 540Av2 has caught my attention now, I'm planning on getting some passive speakers at some point.

Out of curiosity I hooked up my Senns to the home theater receiver (Onkyo SR-604) I have here. Put my Essence to shame =[ Now I'm confident that there's lots of room for improvement in amplification and these babies need it.

If you posted this in the computer subforum, you're sure to get flamed by many.
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you posted this in the computer subforum, you're sure to get flamed by many.
tongue.gif

The Essence threads are flamefests anyway. Yes it's a big step up, but there's many more steps to go and people forget that
smily_headphones1.gif

Can someone with a pair of Senn 600 series compare this amp to some of the other gear they've used?

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Essence threads are flamefests anyway. Yes it's a big step up, but there's many more steps to go and people forget that
smily_headphones1.gif

Can someone with a pair of Senn 600 series compare this amp to some of the other gear they've used?

I once had a discussion in the Essence thread with a head-fier and he insisted that if the Essence is to be built as an external dedicated headphone amp and or DAC, it'll cost at least $1300 and easily rival the current crop of product in that price range.
rolleyes.gif

As for Onkyo receiver, I listened to the K501 that I had with a HT-R640 and it was noticeably muddier and soundstage was compressed in contrast to the Audiotailor Jade that I used at the time. Admittedly though, I did not a/b them but those two traits jumped out at me when I listened.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can't comment on the difference in sound but the 540A V2 also has a dedicated opamp for the HP jack.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And so it goes on...and on...

In the next post someone will say he compared the 640A with 540A and found the latter superior. And then someone will say that when he and his friends did a direct comparison of all three, the 340A was clearly superior. Ah well...

I'm sorry threads aren't aligned and uniform with opinions and impressions for you, must be hard...... (sorry, a little smarmy).
I had both and the 640A HP out was much better as it uses the dedicated circuitry unlike the 540A, so take that for what it's worth.

Edit: okay, I see you're right about the 540A with the HP out, I misunderstood apparently. Part of the reason I returned my 540A was the amp had a problem in the right channel but did not seem to affect the HP output but maybe it did.
Pretty much disregard everything I've said (except the fact that the 640A HP out is very good for what it is)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back