Calling WinXP gurus (or at least those who know more than me)
Feb 21, 2003 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

penvzila

500+ Head-Fier
How would I go about disallowing printing directly from Internet Explorer, or Phoenix, or even both
biggrin.gif
?? Certain people in my home seem to think it's great to print off huge full color websites or emails (like those morons at school who run off a 50 page document and only use a few sentences.) ...I don't want this to be a rant.

Anyway, I don't want to have to set up a special login or anything. I just want to disable printing directly from the browser, or maybe just disable all printing except the 'print selection' option. And no, no one in my house is stupid enough to not plug the printer back in if I unplug it when I'm not using it.

While I'm talking about Internet Explorer, is there any way to remove it from my system? I mean, REMOVE IT. I've deleted it in the past, but it always sneaks up on me when I log on to the net (56k dialup). Just wondering, because I have absolutely zero use for it anymore, since DAP seems to no longer beat Phoenix's built in download manager in speed anymore.

---
Oh, and thanks in advance for any useful information you may contribute!

Feb 21, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 10
IE will haunt you forever....turning off the printer port won't solve your problem either....since you likely want to print from a word processor etc. There may be a third part application that could limit this...I'll try to find out for you...another way is by limiting this through accounts. With XP you can make it so they have limited accounts and you could configure printer access to be limited only to an admin account. Thus...if they needed to print at all...they would need to ask your permission. This will be your best solution overall.

Feb 21, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 10
I know what you are talking about, but I havent figured out how to limit printer access. I'll try experimenting for a while, but I may just start removing the ink cartridges. This is really annoying, since I want to let other people use my computer.

Feb 21, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 10
You can even assign time periods when a certain printer is available. Yes!
edit

NO!

Quote from windows help: "Right-click the printer for which you want to set permissions, click Properties, and then click the Security tab. "

I dont have a security tab in my printer's Properties! I have only one account on this comp and it IS an andministrator.

RRG@!!

Feb 23, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 10
I remember I had a similar prob. My family kepted changing the wallpaper and just doing little things that buged me. So i created diffn't accounts, and passworded mine. But then they always seemed to mess up their account.

I ended up just installing Lycoris Desktop/LX which is a Linux distro that looks alot like Windows 2000 but it able to look like XP very easily. I then did a dual boot, created an account for them, and made it so they couldn't install anything and couldn't mess up anything. It would auto log them into Linux after 5 seconds. Basically I didn't allow them to use XP.lol. Just had them on Linux that way they couldn't mess up anything and with linux i was able to control damn near everything they did.

I still use Windows XP once in a while myself, on and off again. Depends, for music and video I use XP. If I'm just going to browse the internet, Linux does a better job. Its faster and easier on my comp. XP craches my pc quite a bit but my comp never crashes on linux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back