Calling South Africa?
Jul 3, 2007 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

skiingemt

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if any of you knew any good ways to call South Africa, preferably calling to a mobile phone, without spending a bundle of money. I've seen some places online that sell phone cards, but I don't know how reputable they are so I don't want to give them a credit card number... Any advice?

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi there. Ever thought about SkypeOut? I have a Skype account I use to call friends and family overseas (from South Africa), but since it is an account I can log onto from anywhere, I often use it when overseas to call back hom (to South Africa). Other than that, and especially for cellphones, look out for LCR (least cost routing) options.

Cheers,
X

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 5
I hadn't considered SkypeOut... cool service. I looked up the rates and it's 23 cents/min to a mobile. I have Packet8 VoIP, and it turns out SkypeOut is a little cheaper. I was hoping to do a bit better on the rate, but mostly I don't want to be tied down to calling from home. Does anyone know of any reputable places to get discount phone cards?

G

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 5
There are many different pre-paid phone cards where I live. Most of them cost about the same as SkypeOut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back