Calling on DJ cans advice
May 4, 2006 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Csi

Head-Fier
First of all, is there a definitive forum similar to headfi's stature but dedicated to DJ equipment? Let me know about it!

Also I hate how the search feature won't let me use "DJ" as one of the items to search! grr

Anyway i'm just starting to get involved into dj equipment and one of the needs for a DJ is a solid set of cans. Clearly the quality of DJ cans won't exactly fit the audiophile's wet dream but what are some of the characteristics that I should look for?

Currently I have a Senn 497 that I will use as my "Dj cans" as they have that snug fit and are portable. I'm not exactly sure if they will work well though because they are open cans? What are some of the top or rather more popular DJ headphones? Please segment suggestions by prices because clearly saying Grado SR60 and SA 5000's are great cans don't really reveal much info to me since they are on different quality tiers and price range. Also a couple of brand names that I see among the DJ crowd but not on headfi are cans made by pioneer, stanton, technics, vestax, denon etc etc. Since nobody really brings them up here should I avoid them and stick to the traditional DJ can heavy weights like song, akg or even ultrasone?

I'm new to it so not exactly what I want? Assume that I will be using these in very loud club/party like atmosphere. Aside from comfort issues I guess I would also like to have a can that has extensive deep bass so I can pick up that lower frequencies more easily for beat matching. I'll post more in the morning after I get some sleep.

May 5, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 9
Extensive bass and used in very loud environments? Maybe K181Djs.

May 5, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Are you two talking about the same cans?

Also nobody has any input to a DJ forum like headfi?

Sure don't wanna pick up decks and mixers that I will regret. As if I didn't find headfi I might be strutting around the world feeling badass in a pair of 100+ dollar Bose phones.
580smile.gif

Help!

May 5, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 9
AKG 81 DJ: good phones w/ 360 degree swiveling cups; very long cord.

AKG 181 DJ: same as 81s, but with two switches on one of its cups: Stereo or Mono switch, and a Bass switch (how much you want; normal or extra).

May 5, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
AKG 81 DJ: good phones w/ 360 degree swiveling cups; very long cord.

AKG 181 DJ: same as 81s, but with two switches on one of its cups: Stereo or Mono switch, and a Bass switch (how much you want; normal or extra).

I think there is a bigger difference then that.

May 5, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Stereo or Mono switch

I've never done any DJing but I would think this would be a great feature for a DJ so you can monitor what's going on with one earcup and listen to the room with the other.

Did you do a search for DJ forums?

What about this:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/

or this:
http://www.djchat.com/boards/index.php

I'm sure there are more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back