Calling Everyone Mixing music in Headphones!!!!!!!!
May 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #19 of 42
@audiorefinery

Hey you seem to be getting alot of great answers, at this point, I think it would be helpful if you provided some more details where/how you want to use these headphones.

Are you looking for headphones to master tracks with in a studio environment or more of a DJ application?  Are you looking to purchase or are you just curious?  
bigsmile_face.gif

May 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #20 of 42
Hello again dsound,

It's a mixture of a few intentions to this thread. I am a full time engineer. I have had my go with a small batch of headphones at this point. I am curious about what people like to use. Any new pair mentioned is obviously researched further. I wanted to create a thread where people mixing music can come and talk about what they use and not have to defend why they use it like I have seen in other threads. It can't hurt if some people can network here as well. I Hope I answered your questions. If I missed something please don't hesitate to ask me anything.

May 10, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #23 of 42
Sorry guys but mixing on headphones, especially the lower-end of the frequency is a futile attempt.
I am talking with experience and I own/ed the best headphones yet none provide the solution to the problem that when transferring your mix to speakers, say your car or studio, they will sound totally different and in the majority of cases, really bad. Studio monitor speakers are the only way to go to keep it professional.

May 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #25 of 42
  Sorry guys but mixing on headphones, especially the lower-end of the frequency is a futile attempt.
I am talking with experience and I own/ed the best headphones yet none provide the solution to the problem that when transferring your mix to speakers, say your car or studio, they will sound totally different and in the majority of cases, really bad. Studio monitor speakers are the only way to go to keep it professional.

May 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:
confused.gif
 I think you need both near fields and a good headphone. Been doing it for a long time myself.

Mixing on headphones is worthless, but it is also largely dependent on the music's genre you are mixing. Near fields are all you need and from what I know from other studio engineers and personally, they only use headphones in the final stages of the production to filter out any little discrepancies (sounds that shouldn't be there that weren't noticed on speakers) that only headphones can pinpoint.

May 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #27 of 42
Gotta mix and reference with dr. dre beats and apple ear pods because most people are going to be listening to your mix through beats/earpods so make sure your mix sounds decent on the dre beats and earpods.

Your mix may sound good on hd600 but will sound different when some uses earpods or beats.

May 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #29 of 42

Mixing on headphones is worthless, but it is also largely dependent on the music's genre you are mixing. Near fields are all you need and from what I know from other studio engineers and personally, they only use headphones in the final stages of the production to filter out any little discrepancies (sounds that shouldn't be there that weren't noticed on speakers) that only headphones can pinpoint.

May 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

My professional opinion on the matter is, a tool is a tool. Any speaker can be learned just as any headphone can be learned. Speakers are always preferred but not always an option. At that point you can't go telling a client that the mix won't be done today because my speakers aren't around. Find a headphone that sounds similar signature wise to your favorite nearfield and learn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back