Calling digital camera experts!
Oct 28, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 26
pretty much a novice in this area but as far as i know there is no such thing, the idea is that high resolution camera's have the ability to crop pictures to pretty much any 'screen ratio' without much effect on print quality, whereas my 3 megapixel powershot S1 produces a great pictures yet it's not so great for cropping as it shows up a lot of noise.

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 26
Since I'm a graphics person new to this site......I'll take a stab at this graphics question!!! Most high end cameras are 4:3. Best thing is to get a 4:3 camera, and if you need 16:9, crop it in your image editing program.

I'm a Canon fan myself (from their high end to lo end stuff). Sony is pretty good too. Some people like Nikon, but one Nikon point and shoot I had once was LOUSY picture quality.

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 26
i dont know of any, but if you want to go high end.. get a full frame sensor, then you arent wasting money on a lens you can ONLY use on a digital camera full frame sensor means that the sensor is 35mm the same size as film, therefore they use the same lenses, eg no barrel distortion. if any are missing from the list please correct me. these are full frame digital cameras available
* Contax N Digital
* Kodak DCS Pro 14n
* Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n
* Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c
* Canon EOS-1Ds
* Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
* Canon EOS 5D

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 26
I use several of Canon's highest end cameras (DSLRs). The best cameras use a full frame sensor, and mimic the ratio of 35mm film (3 x 2). Many decent point and shoots do use a 4 x 3 factor.

Davesrose is correct, that cropping would be your solution. 16 x 9 is a video (or movie) format, not a still format.

Good luck.

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 26
Looks like you're a good candidate for the new Panasonic Lumix DMCLX1K-B. It offers 16:9 at 5.5 megapixel resolution. I believe the original model was released last year but a new model came out recently.

PopPhoto wrote favorably about it. I can't recall which issue it was. Take a visit to their web site.

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 26
I've been a Canon fan ever since I inherited an old AE-1 SLR from my folks. Recently I decided to get a small point and shoot that could fit in the pocket. Not sure what your budget is.....of course the DSLRs are really nice.....but maybe overkill for your purposes. The most recent camera I got was the Canon Elph SD600.....very small, great detail (6mp), and can even do manual (didn't know that regular point and shoots ever did that!). Actually....decided to take a look at it.....and it does 16:9!!!!!

2816x1584 is the max resolution!

Only the one thing I'm thinking....which is why this feature would not be on high end DSLRs.....is that the camera is just cropping the image. You're probably going to get some distortion from the lens that a true 16x9 camera wouldn't get (if a single frame 16:9 camera actually existed)

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 26
Guys, guys, he asked for an "affordable" suggestion, and getting a DSLR would be stepping into a world that many of us here at Head-Fi, who've already spent too much money, don't want to venture into
wink.gif

The FZ-7 is an amazing little camera with great optics and options - I think you'd love it.

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 26
Get a panasonic FX-01, it's small and pretty good camera. It can do 16:9 ratio. If you check on dpreview.com, panasonic are actually quite good for P&S camera. They can capture a very good detail but their sensor do have problems with noise. Their P&S are on par with Canon and Nikon, a lot better than sony and the rest.

edit: I have Canon Digital Rebel and Canon S50 (my first digital camera), I gave Panasonic FX-01k for my mom as birthday present, she loves it. Panasonic FX-01k capture more detail than my Canon S50. I'm tempted to sell my S50 and bought FX-01k to complement my DSlr kit because of its capability and small size.

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #13 of 26
As I mentioned earlier, Canon's entry cameras have 16:9 cropping too. I like the Canon SD600 for size/ price/ image quality.

I guess we don't know what the budget is here......but the problem with all these cameras is that they're natively 4:3. That means the lens to sensor ratio is 4:3-so you don't know how much the camera is distorting the 16:9 image at all.

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 26
Mother of god - not just jumping right into the DSLR end... but also 35mm sensors? I'm not sure when a few GRAND got affordable, maybe that's just me.

What you need to consider first, is whether you'll be PRINTING the wide aspect photos. So long as your image sensor has a decent pixel count, you'll be able to crop and still print an average sized panoramic (4x10). My immediate assumption (just happen to be looking for 1920x1080? Hmm...) is that you're looking for wide-aspect shots for your monitor/HDTV. This can still be done through cropping.

Let me put it into perspective, using my Canon S3 IS as an example, as I am most familiar with it: At the highest resolution, it can take pictures at 2816x2122. Even if you were to crop it to 16:9 (HDTV) ratio, you would have a resolution that looks more like 2816x1584, well above your native resolution.

A few KEY things to remember before and when buying digital:

1) The megapixel is mostly marketing fluff. If you intend to leave the files digital for onscreen viewing and expect to keep the prints you do make to small sizes like 4x6, a 3MP camera will do you fine. You do gain extra detail with higher resolutions, but unless you intend to make very large prints or want to dive into this with the same fanaticism as the audio hobby, you'll likely never see the difference.
2) Pay for the glass. Most of the non-traditional camera names have jumped onto the quality lens bandwagon: Sony with Zeiss, Kodak with Schneider and Panasonic with Leica, as examples. Not all are created equal though. I can assure you a Panasonic with a Leica lens is not hundreds of dollars less than a Leica with a Leica lens for no good reason. Generally, consider how you want your photos to look like you want your audio: The Japanese tend to have a softer (warm) focus, while the Germans have crisp, sharp (bright) focus.
3) Consider battery options. Outside of an SLR, you are stuck with what the camera will accept. Proprietary cells are more powerful and usually last longer than "AA's", but they are costly and if you run out of juice in Mongolia, you probably won't be able to hit any corner store for fresh power.
4) If you pay the price for a fast camera, buy a fast card. It is worth the money. A card that can match or preferably exceed the speed of your camera in read/write access time will make the difference between buying a point-and-shoot and a point-and-hope
5) The basics: Weight, size, durability, quality construction. All the little tangibles that really add up fast. This brings me to the last tip...
6) Get out there and TRY it. These things come in such varied sizes and shapes, you really don't know if you're going to like the interface, functionality and usability of the device until you get your tiny/medium/enormous hands on them. One man's award winning product is another man's confounding gizmo that turns off all the time and takes shots that are under exposedwith fingers blocking of every shot.

When it comes down to it, consider your usage and run with it. Zoom is a big consideration, although typically you either need it or don't and it's just another price tag raiser. If you have a baby, speed and a longer zoom is a must. Speed for obvious reasons
biggrin.gif
and zoom, as you don't want to expose their sensitive eyes to a speedlight at close range.

Digital imaging technology has come along that you can rest assured that no matter your budget, you will be able to find a quality camera that will do everything you're looking for (and more), and that will do so very, very well. Happy hunting!

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 26
Some of Leica's digital point-and-shoots have a 16:9 mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back