Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Oct 15, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #331 of 1,332
Well through some rather good luck and a little elbow grease (did a favor for a friend by mounting an HDTV Antenna at his cottage last weekend) I managed to secure a 1978 Vintage Pioneer SA7700 amp for free (in good working order, other than a few lights being out which will be swapped for LEDs) which was a pleasant surprise to say the least. Of course it needs a little clean up and some internal/external TLC but for the most part it's a good start to the vintage system. I have been keeping an eye on the HPM-100's in my local area and if a pair pops up within driving distance I'll be on them faster than Oprah on a baked ham.

Sluker...some stands would definitely help with the muddy bass issue at medium volume levels. Floor coupling/reflections with full range speakers was one of the drawbacks way back when which was solved with the use of stands which in turn opened up an entire market in the late 70's early 80's. I'd try out some Sound Anchor types with the HPM-100s if Sound Anchor has a suitable candidate.

Peete.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #332 of 1,332

Quote:
Skylab, I would love to learn more about the crossover recap you did, is there a source you can point me to?

More to come.

Here you go:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120454

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #333 of 1,332
@Skylab;

Do you know of any good DIY wood horn speakers? I remember reading about some EVR wood horn speakers, or something like that, that it was called. And what do these kits go for? 

i never heard of wood before. i knew of the legendary Altec horns were made out of some heavy metal with tar inside that acted like some acoustic filter of some sort. they were known to be massive weighing about 150-200lbs just for the horn alone i believe. they are extremely rare to get actual authentic ones cause lot of people only have or sell replicas of it and some scammers try to sell replicas as the ''real'' thing lot of times.

also i believe Altec Lansing made the world famous ''Voice Of The Theatre'' speakers which was used for movies back then and was known for their massive soundstage and on and off axis dispersion. i think Altec Lansing already revived them as well and selling around 4000 per speaker but need to be specially ordered from Altec lansing themselves.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #334 of 1,332
Quote:
i never heard of wood before. i knew of the legendary Altec horns were made out of some heavy metal with tar inside that acted like some acoustic filter of some sort. they were known to be massive weighing about 150-200lbs just for the horn alone i believe. they are extremely rare to get actual authentic ones cause lot of people only have or sell replicas of it and some scammers try to sell replicas as the ''real'' thing lot of times.
also i believe Altec Lansing made the world famous ''Voice Of The Theatre'' speakers which was used for movies back then and was known for their massive soundstage and on and off axis dispersion. i think Altec Lansing already revived them as well and selling around 4000 per speaker but need to be specially ordered from Altec lansing themselves.

Thanks for the the info. I know Altec made some great speakers in their time. These were similar speakers i was mentioning.

http://www.audiosmile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20871

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #336 of 1,332
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/business/edgar-m-villchur-hi-fi-innovator-dies-at-94.html

A great vintage speaker innovator passed away.   Edgar M. Villchur.   

Saw that in the other vintage thread. Thanks WA, RIP Mr. Villchur.

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #337 of 1,332
I've added a pair a klipsh kg-4's to my collection. It's recommended on the klipsch/audiokarma forums to replace the tweeter on a lot of the vintage klipschs with Bob Crites titanium diaphrams. Well now I see why. The treble response is much improve and is a lot smoother and extended. Imaging is much better as well. These aren't as good technically as my epic cf-2's but they are really fun to listen to. I listen to these more than my psb T65 floorstanders.

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #339 of 1,332
Looks like you did a nice job.  The caps maybe need 50 hours or so?

Looking forwa to your comments!

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #340 of 1,332
Hello, guys, I just found out this sister thread of "vintage receiver/amp", great read!

As you guys refer "vintage" speakers, which time period fall in "vintage" category? Before 1985??

I have a general question about speakers. What the benefit of bookshelf speakers other than size? I am asking the "obvious" question since I have a superb bookshelf speakers Celestion 100 (BTW, they are $1200 per pair in 1992). They are small but the sound-stage is so damn good with wide 3-d effect. When I am listening to music, I feel as I am in live. Although it doesn't have the "front row" image as Allison CD9 and CD6, it definitely beat my JBL L7, Heresy, even my beloved KEF q-90 (I need try to place q-90 differently).
I googled and found out Celestion bookshelf speakers all have superb soundstage, and Celestion made more bookshelf models than floor speakers. So my first conclusion, they product bookshelf because bookshelf is good at image. If my first conclusion was wrong, then i have my second conclusion. Does 2-way can produce good image than 3-way? Since most of Celestion speakers are 2-way (even their floor-standing one). I don't think this makes any sense, Allison CD6 is 2-way, CD9 is 3-way, and they share almost same sound-stage. Can someone enlight me of sound-stage of speakers???

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #341 of 1,332
Quote:
Hello, guys, I just found out this sister thread of "vintage receiver/amp", great read!

As you guys refer "vintage" speakers, which time period fall in "vintage" category? Before 1985??

I have a general question about speakers. What the benefit of bookshelf speakers other than size? I am asking the "obvious" question since I have a superb bookshelf speakers Celestion 100 (BTW, they are $1200 per pair in 1992). They are small but the sound-stage is so damn good with wide 3-d effect. When I am listening to music, I feel as I am in live. Although it doesn't have the "front row" image as Allison CD9 and CD6, it definitely beat my JBL L7, Heresy, even my beloved KEF q-90 (I need try to place q-90 differently).
I googled and found out Celestion bookshelf speakers all have superb soundstage, and Celestion made more bookshelf models than floor speakers. So my first conclusion, they product bookshelf because bookshelf is good at image. If my first conclusion was wrong, then i have my second conclusion. Does 2-way can produce good image than 3-way? Since most of Celestion speakers are 2-way (even their floor-standing one). I don't think this makes any sense, Allison CD6 is 2-way, CD9 is 3-way, and they share almost same sound-stage. Can someone enlight me of sound-stage of speakers???

I made this thread, as even my B&W DM610i's that i sold were made in the early 90's, but my L100's beat them by 100. The Clestions look alot like my DM610's that i had. All it matters is that you enjoy them.

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #342 of 1,332
Thanks, Cifani! I really enjoy my Celestion 100. I just want to know what makes the little bookshelf  speakers render sound-stage so well. I haven't have chance to listen to famous B&W DM602 S3 yet, but one day I will.

I had tried B&W DM620 floor-standing speakers (brother of your DM610), but I sold them due to not well controlled bass. I tried B&W DM 310 bookshelf speakers too. They sound very good in small area but couldn't fill middle size room. So I sold them too. Celestion 100 can really fill middle size room!!  I also tried Pioneer CS-88a, but never like them.

My vintage speakers are 1977 Heresy and 1982(?) Polk monitor 10. I had ADS L-710 before, but I like Polk more than ADS, so I sold them too. I just wondering why no one talks ADS here.
confused.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #343 of 1,332
I've owned a handful of vintage speakers, but the ones I enjoy the most are my Yamaha NS1000M.  Coupled with tubes, the dynamics and timbre are outstanding.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #344 of 1,332
Quote:
I've owned a handful of vintage speakers, but the ones I enjoy the most are my Yamaha NS1000M.  Coupled with tubes, the dynamics and timbre are outstanding.

Interesting, wonder how they compare to some good ol' vintage JBL studio monitors.

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #345 of 1,332
Very popular speaker, the NS1000M.  Definitely a classic.  I would like to hear a pair one day.  They have their devotees, and detractors, like most classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back