Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Sep 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #271 of 1,332

Quote:
Myth less, quite true...but if you look at what a NEW set of speakers would cost, you can't come close to the HPM-60 for $2-300, IMO.

But no, Cifanni, I prefer the HPM-100. If I could get either one for the same price, I would choose the 100over the 60.

That is very true.  I am waiting for some of the bigger HPMs to show up in my city.  While I think the 60s are good speakers in their own right, I want to hear some of the bigger HPMs.

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #274 of 1,332
I passed on it, since it was apparently a low quality portable single motor one. I'd rather save up and get a good one if I find myself still interested when I do have the money for a good deck.

Back on track, I just got some new Pioneer CS-M555s at a garage sale up the street. Not amazing, but they sound mighty fine for the price. The left tweeter is blown though, which I am pretty sure I didn't do, and there are a couple of cave ins in the foam surrounds, or you could say parts that stick out from the driver flexing, which I probably did do, considering they weren't very valuable speakers, and I know when too much is too much, and put my receiver volume high enough coming out of my phone with some hip hop on maxed out bass to get my whole house booming to see how far they go and to have some fun.

I did have the bass boost on and knob maxed for a few seconds, and they sounded like tey were ready to blow, and they were flexing a TON, so I turned it down. I bet I just stretched out the foam surrounds, which I didn't know were foam and I wouldn't have done what I did if I realized that they were foam, from flexing the woofers so much. I bet I did it and oh well, they still play great except for that blown tweeter that is still stocked by Pioneer for like $30 anyway, which I know I didn't do because the highs sounded funky since I turned the speakers on anyway.

I could have them re foamed, fix the tweeter and hook them up to my main rig at the back into the second output on my receiver (mine has one of those speaker 1 and 2 switches if you know what I mean) and keep them both on for a four speaker, more room filling sound. I tried this with some other speakers and they were so much lower quality and lower volume than the fronts that I couldn't even tell, so maybe these will fare better. If not, I'll find a place for them, or sell them. Anyone here wanna buy em? :)

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #275 of 1,332
jtaylor991

Looks like a treated fabric surround (although with my crappy eyesight it could be foam) that has deformed, most likely from less than careful storage by the previous owner(s). It should not effect the sound any.

On another note it's been a few months since I made the local second hand shop sweep in my stomping grounds (for anything worthy). Reading this thread this evening has got me pumped up for a look see tomorrow morning
normal_smile%20.gif
   Hopefully I'll be able to find some power amps (for the cottage system) and maybe a decent sub (if I'm really lucky).

Peete.

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #276 of 1,332
Yeah it feels more like that fabric surround you mentioned than foam, but I only knew of foam and rubber surrounds existing, so I assumed it was foam. I have felt foam surrounds, and this feels like something else but feels like foam (kinda) when you push on it. Also, the deformation fortunately hasn't seemed to affect the sound. Good luck on your hunt!

Quote:
jtaylor991

Looks like a treated fabric surround (although with my crappy eyesight it could be foam) that has deformed, most likely from less than careful storage by the previous owner(s). It should not effect the sound any.

On another note it's been a few months since I made the local second hand shop sweep in my stomping grounds (for anything worthy). Reading this thread this evening has got me pumped up for a look see tomorrow morning
normal_smile%20.gif
   Hopefully I'll be able to find some power amps (for the cottage system) and maybe a decent sub (if I'm really lucky).

Peete.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #277 of 1,332

Hi I thought I would post some of my vintage speakers I still use daily.  Enjoying this thread big time.

The HPM-900's I bought new for my 13th B-day in 1983.  In the garage loft I still have a pr of HPM-1100's but they are for another day long away if I can find parts to repair them.  Ignore the sputnik looking wall  candle holder and the Jack Daniels bandana as the HPM's are sitting on cinder blocks and its more to protect the speaker case from the brick then red neck look.  These HPM -900's have just suffered a terrible hard life but still sound very good.  I mean they still pound metal just like in 1983, however I am getting them repaired.  Of course the  polymer graphite  woofers were destroyed when I brought them in for the first refoaming by a guy who said he knew what he was doing.  That was a major hit, the same problem to the HPM-1100's  but those 15" woofers are even harder to get going and $$$$. 
A excellent local speaker shop is local, Simply Speakers and the HPM's are going to be put back the best I can woofer wise.  The recone Kevlar woofers still sound decent in the nest.  Notice how small the HPM's look next to my 1992 Cerwin Vega VS-150's!  But they are not.  The HPM's produce a better quality range, even a better bass range with the kevlar woofers but nothing I mean nothing tops what the CV VS-150's can do.    This is my PC sound , but its where I spend most of my time as I slug down Vodka.  I have found that I still enjoy the carver TFM-45 as a decent amp to use hooked on to a ASUS xonar ST.  Though here is a not bad Audiosource amp-310 hooked up to the HPM-900's.  I never thought any of this stuff would still be sounding so good after all these years.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #278 of 1,332
Cool, never heard of Cerwin Vega but now they're on my watch list.  Almost ready to pounce on some speakers for my 717.  In negotiations for HPM-100 and HPM-900.  If those fail I'll end up with some Klipsch Quartets.

Quote:

Hi I thought I would post some of my vintage speakers I still use daily.  Enjoying this thread big time.

The HPM-900's I bought new for my 13th B-day in 1983.  In the garage loft I still have a pr of HPM-1100's but they are for another day long away if I can find parts to repair them.  Ignore the sputnik looking wall  candle holder and the Jack Daniels bandana as the HPM's are sitting on cinder blocks and its more to protect the speaker case from the brick then red neck look.  These HPM -900's have just suffered a terrible hard life but still sound very good.  I mean they still pound metal just like in 1983, however I am getting them repaired.  Of course the  polymer graphite  woofers were destroyed when I brought them in for the first refoaming by a guy who said he knew what he was doing.  That was a major hit, the same problem to the HPM-1100's  but those 15" woofers are even harder to get going and $$$$. 
A excellent local speaker shop is local, Simply Speakers and the HPM's are going to be put back the best I can woofer wise.  The recone Kevlar woofers still sound decent in the nest.  Notice how small the HPM's look next to my 1992 Cerwin Vega VS-150's!  But they are not.  The HPM's produce a better quality range, even a better bass range with the kevlar woofers but nothing I mean nothing tops what the CV VS-150's can do.    This is my PC sound , but its where I spend most of my time as I slug down Vodka.  I have found that I still enjoy the carver TFM-45 as a decent amp to use hooked on to a ASUS xonar ST.  Though here is a not bad Audiosource amp-310 hooked up to the HPM-900's.  I never thought any of this stuff would still be sounding so good after all these years.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #279 of 1,332
Slight cross-post from another thread I started, a user suggested I post in here.

I have a question for all vintage speaker fans!

I inherited a pair of HPM-60 from my father and did some minor repairs to them to bring them back to life. Several years ago, the 10" woofers dried out and were removed so I purchased a pair of Dayton Audio SD270A-88's to replace them. Unfortunately since I haven't heard the original woofers, I can't compare the two. The Daytons work well in my opinion but the speakers lack low end.

Anyways, I am confused as to why these woofers do now provide much low end! I figured since the speakers were 10's and had a starting frequency of 26hz, that they'd be able to provide more than enough bass.

Can someone school me on audio physics and how to get more bass out of these units, if it's even possible? I figured it might be because the boxes are ported, or that I might have bought the wrong woofers. I do not want to do any mods to the units besides possibly replacing the Daytons with better drivers.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #281 of 1,332
Killertofu,

The issue is that You can't just drop in any old 10" woofer and expect the same results as the original woofer. There are a bunch of things that must be considered. First of all, the replacement woofer would have to be the same impedance and sensitivity/efficiency. But moreover, woofer performance in a given box is determined Thiele-Small parameters, which are very complex.

Bottom line: you need original woofers like in the link above.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #283 of 1,332
Good find randerson! I may have to pick up a pair of those before they become harder to find than they already are. Thanks for the response Skylab, I figured it would be something complex that couldn't be easily replicated without original hardware. I'm curious how they sound from the factory, I never had the opportunity to appreciate them before they went into storage.

And yes, its a doug reference! Honk-Honk!

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #284 of 1,332
I like the way the HPM-60 sound - I have a pair that is completely stock, although I plan to recap the crossovers like I did on my HPM-100. The HPM-60 woofers are really nice - very heavy magnets, carbon fibre cones...and the bass is very strong. No one should hear HPM-60's as bass shy :wink:

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #285 of 1,332
Wow, I can't believe this thread has been going on for this long and I didn't know about it. Well I guess it shows how often I visit this side of headfi.:D

Well I have a pair of klipsch epic cf-2's. Maybe not quiet vintage(1994), but they sound better than any klipsch I've listened to the last several years. The epic line was an attempt by klipsch to produce an "audiophile" sounding speaker. This was a turn off by some klipsch fans because it wasn't the typical klipsch sound. Which IMO was a good thing. Most klipschs I've listened to, other than the vintages of course, sounds bright, thin, and lacking in bass extension. These are very accurate, musical sounding speakers IMO. With plenty at both ends. The two 8in drivers actually sounds like 8in drivers.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back