Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
May 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,231 of 1,332
Well I got them and wow. They sound incredible. These are by far the nicest speakers I've ever owned. So smooth. Thanks for the link. Lots of useful info!

May 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #1,234 of 1,332
  Strange that it would partially not work. Did you try cleaning the contacts between the drivers and leads? Deoxit works on speakers too and I've had it work miracles.

Nope maybe i will try. The last time i try using the other speaker, the largest and i think second largest woofer doesn't make sound. Only the tweeter does.

May 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #1,235 of 1,332
OK, cool. Well, if you do have them apart. also check for continuity across the speakers. After the driver is puller, you can use a multimeter to check if each individual driver is blown, and check the crossover for burnt/blown components.

May 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,238 of 1,332

The bass is so tight and controlled on the kappa's compared to the hpm.

Congrats on the find. I also found the hpm's to have a muddy bass and a lot more distortion than average infinity speakers. I've had the hpm 100's, 60's, and 150's. The 100's & 60's were very similar in sound with what you heard, but the 150's were really superb.

May 14, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #1,240 of 1,332
Ehhhh, that's prettymuch the going rate. If you got them for $600, you'd be doing well. That's how much mine were after all the repairs. They sound about as good as klipsch cornwall I's, but getting parts is hit or miss.

May 15, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,241 of 1,332
I have a pair of Kappa 6's. Great speakers. Much better than HPM-100's. I agree. The Kappa 6 is a remarkable speaker for the size and era. Truly a great sounding speaker even by today's standards.

May 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,242 of 1,332
I have a pair of Kappa 6's. Great speakers. Much better than HPM-100's. I agree. The Kappa 6 is a remarkable speaker for the size and era. Truly a great sounding speaker even by today's standards.

Infinity did produce very good speakers, although not all were top notch, on average much better than average. Personally, I am clueless how the (likes of ) HPM 100's
are held in so high esteem/command the prices they do. Although Infinitys may well have some rough edges here and there, it is hard to find a model that did not subscribe to the widest/flattest response maxima, given the cost. But on average, they do like above average powered amps to give their best.

No idea exactly when Infinity got sold and became - ahem - *slightly* less high quality product. But good ol' models are worth seeking and ressurecting - if one goes to
investigate what did change from the original IRS V from 40 years ago to the present version, Genesis 1.2, there is unbelievably little - and although no doubt the latest incarnation is an improvement, I doubt anyone would mind having IRS V as the main speakers. 

Similar can be said about Infinity smaller lower priced models - they have withstood the test of time.

May 17, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,243 of 1,332
My wife brought home some speakers that she thought would look "cute" as end tables or bedside tables. They're wharfedale 60's with cabinet trim. They have a simple crossover with only 3 components for a two way speaker. My wife likes them and since she got them for damn near free, I don't mind them. They are heavy and literally full of sand (made that way for damping).
One came without any wires, so I completely rewired it with monster cable. Here's what it looks like inside and installed.

May 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,244 of 1,332
Cool! How do they sound?

May 19, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,245 of 1,332
Cool! How do they sound?

Errrr, to put it politely, good enough, but not amazing. The sound comes out very colored towards warm. There seems to be a substantial gap between where the woofer rolls off and where the tweeter picks up. The bass extends down to about 60 Hz. One of the tweeters seems to be having a problem, maybe the surround has separated or something is stuck in the voice coil, as it gets scratchy at high volumes. I think the potentiometers are bungling the sound, as no amount of deoxit will make them less scratchy. The caps are good though. I suppose it's not too important how they sound all together. My wife thinks they're adorable and now I get to have a system in the bedroom. If I want better sound quality, I'll just install some small infinity's (or something similar) and keep using the wharfedales as bed-side tables.
Right now, I'm just using a sony str-6040, an average vintage amp that can do about 20W cleanly per side.
The good news is that they are unobjectionable for background music, and maybe with a few repairs/mods I can have them sounding a bit more lush and a bit less scratchy.
So far, I've put four whole dollars in to them, and at that price, I really can't complain. 
biggrin.gif

Here's what the system looks like:

And here's the required EQ to get a flat response (approx)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back