Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Jun 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #76 of 1,332
What about the foot and hydraulics from an old office chair?
Just remove the wheels and chair and put a plate on top for the speakers to stand on.

Edit: a pair of chairs of cause.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #77 of 1,332
How far off the floor is ideal, any idea?  3-4"?

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #78 of 1,332
Experiment with different heights until you find out what works best for your room.

Edit: By the way, a good place to start is to have the tweeters at eye height, relative to your listening spot, ribbons tend to be very directional.
Also pointing the speakers towards your listening spot might improve the upper ranges as well, again because ribbons tend to be directional.

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #80 of 1,332

Quote:
So I have a chance to of Bic Venturi Formula 6 Speakers locally for $100. Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/96020-bic_venturi_formula_six/

Link for reference. Only issue with the ones for sell is the dustcaps are pushed in on the woofers.

Too be honest, Bic speakers are not worth their weight in that kinda of money.  They're not really popular over on AK other than party speakers.  Wait for something better to come, like an Onkyio Model 20 speakers, haha.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #81 of 1,332

Quote:
Well, I picked up my Pioneer HPM-100's yesterday.  Overall very nice condition for a CL buy at $240.  Drivers are perfect.  One cabinet has a major corner ding on the bottom but where they are in my room you can't see it at all.  I did the cabinets up with Old English wood scratch remover, and I think they look nice.

These are serious speakers.  It's amazing how heavy they are! I didn't expect them to sound nearly as good as they do. I was very pleasantly surprised. Imaging was very good, tonality was good, and they were even reasonably clean sounding.  And they just seem RIGHT for the vintage rig
wink_face.gif

Damn, what a SWEET vintage rig!!  And is that an SX-1980 I see (OMG!!)?  Are you considering recapping your HPM-100's?  I haven't done either of my pairs yet, but I'm told it makes a huge difference.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #82 of 1,332
Thanks!  Yup, a SX-1980 driving the HPM-100.  I haven't recapped them, just got them last week, but I might at some point, I also heard makes quite a difference.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #84 of 1,332
I've been absolutely loving the HPM-100.  I put them on 12" high stands and they are even better.  I'm tempted to buy another pair and do a bunch of the tweaks recommended over on AudioKarma and see how they compare.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #85 of 1,332
Good to see you got them on stands. That really helps. I got a pair of polk audio monitor 10As which are circa 1987?ish. On the floor, they kind of suck bass wise. Putting them up on stands and they are currently doing HT 2.0 duty downstairs. Reason being is they hit hard all the way down to 40hz. Plus, they sound great with crappy source material. Very forgiving. However, they are also really musical and a flat out blast to play jam and jazz type music on.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #86 of 1,332

Quote:
I've been absolutely loving the HPM-100.  I put them on 12" high stands and they are even better.  I'm tempted to buy another pair and do a bunch of the tweaks recommended over on AudioKarma and see how they compare.

Why type of stands are they? I wish i had $200 or so to spend, but im not sure if they'd fit on my desk. Ill have to measure
cool.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #87 of 1,332
HPM-100's will for SURE not fit on ANY desk.  They are VERY big speakers.

The "stands" are just black plastic bins from Target, but they are the perfect size.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #88 of 1,332

Quote:
HPM-100's will for SURE not fit on ANY desk.  They are VERY big speakers.

The "stands" are just black plastic bins from Target, but they are the perfect size.

beerchug.gif
measured and figured ill need something about 7 inches or higher for ear level. I found a pair locally, but they didnt answer so ill be calling back later. $100
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #89 of 1,332
If you can get a pair for $100, I would RUN to get them - that's a great price.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #90 of 1,332

Quote:
If you can get a pair for $100, I would RUN to get them - that's a great price.

Oh yea, they didn't answer the first time so ill have to call again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back