Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Feb 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #482 of 1,332
I figured $25 was what I would have spent on gas if I drove, and he said he was driving past my town anyhow. It worked out well for me that way. But if the speaker delivery guy is traveling pretty far, again I'd offer to pay what I'd have spent myself, or at least half. I hope that doesn't make me sound cheap.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #483 of 1,332
I am now a full convert of big ole' speakers and after taking a gamble (auditioned 1st though hehe) on the Kenwood LSK-727 with 12" woofers i would go with stuff like these unless room prevents it
beerchug.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #484 of 1,332
Cool! We need pics 
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #485 of 1,332
The HPM 1500's landed last night and I am psyched.

I had a brief listening session last night and I am adjusting to the sound. Very positive so far.

Today I hope to get them up on their stands and figure out positioning. Our living room is not that large and introducing these monsters has upset the feng  shui a bit. My partner is the decorator and organizer so I will be deferring to his needs quite a bit. I was very nervous about his reactions to this purchase but so far he has been very sweet.

Pics and thoughts to come in the next few days.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #486 of 1,332
Awesome!  Can't wait to see the pics.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #488 of 1,332

Quote:
The HPM 1500's landed last night and I am psyched.

I had a brief listening session last night and I am adjusting to the sound. Very positive so far.

Today I hope to get them up on their stands and figure out positioning. Our living room is not that large and introducing these monsters has upset the feng  shui a bit. My partner is the decorator and organizer so I will be deferring to his needs quite a bit. I was very nervous about his reactions to this purchase but so far he has been very sweet.

Pics and thoughts to come in the next few days.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #491 of 1,332
@ MrQ   exactly...I definitely don't want to end up in the dog house over audio. It's a fine line. Purchasing vintage speakers for myself on valentines day was a risk for sure.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #492 of 1,332

Quote:
  1. Recap the HPM-100's (CHECK)
  2. Get stands (CHECK)
  3. Restore the SX-1250 (CHECK)
The vintage Pioneer rig is complete (for now
bigsmile_face.gif
)

NICE!!!!!!  Congrats.  That's awesome stuff there!

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #494 of 1,332

Thanks
The stand for the 1250 is only temporary. I think I need a rack or a low bench that can support it's weight, that "cardboard box" from Target will not last plus it blocks the bottom vents.

I also paid $350 for mine, plus another $600 to get it tuned up and (some new caps and new transistors). My repair guy insisted that I only replace the bad caps and transistors and only with the same or exact parts. He is pretty hard core when it comes to restoration philosophy and maintaining the original sound signature. But he also said it's one of the best units he has seen in a long time and his shop is packed with a two month backlog and tons of restored units for sale (including a mint looking G-8000).

Quote:
Man that is a sharp setup. I should have bought the 1250 I saw last week. It went for $350 >_<

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #495 of 1,332
Where is this guy located, sluker?

Beautiful setup, btw. Where did you get your stands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back