Calling all Savatage fans....
Sep 26, 2007 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow these guys make my Grados THUNDER.

Kind of like if Rob Halford / Geoff Tate sang for early Metallica... and you add some Derek Sherinian keyboard pieces.

Any fans?... what CDs do you recommend?

thanks in advance.

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, they have quite a few different sounding phases.

I like Sirens and Hall of the Mountain King of their early, US power-metal albums. The rest of those are mediocre at best.

I think Gutter Ballet is a bit overrated with only a few really great songs, but it is the real beginning of their showtunes-influenced sound thanks to Paul O'Neill.

Streets is the real showcase (no pun intended) of the Oliva brothers, as after it Jon was no longer was the main vocalist (until their most recent album), and of course Criss was tragically killed after their next album. I'd consider this album a must own, even if a few parts border on campiness, as others shine with poignancy.

Edge of Thorns and Handful of Rain are both solid albums, with their share of excellent songs, but quite a few nondescript ones as well. I'd definitely add them at some point, but they wouldn't be my first buys.

Dead Winter Dead and Wake of Magellan are the peak of their post-Criss era. At first I preferred the former, but over time I grew to appreciate the latter more. Both are excellent albums, similarly styed, and you can't really go wrong with either.

Finally, Poets and Madmen is a nice album, in the mold of the previous two, just not quite as well executed. I still think it's one of their better albums, but nothing that will blow you out of your seat.

So to sum up, I'd consider a great Sava starter package to be:

Hall of the Mountain King
Streets
Dead Winter Dead /OR/ The Wake of Magellan

P.S. They've only got one album that I see no merit in owning, the pitiful Fight for the Rock. Anything else you buy should bring at least some level of enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back