Calling all Panasonic SL-CT780 owners, need to ask you qns.. Thanks!
Mar 28, 2002 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SNAG

New Head-Fier
Hi there, this is my very first post here in Head-fi..
=) So I'm totally a greenhorn here.

I have the Panasonic SL-CT780 player (The asian set), and I have encountered some problems. I wonder if these problems are restricted to my player only, so need to ask you guys here.

This player has a resume function, which cannot be disabled, unlike the older Panasonic models.
I notice one strange thing when I use the player.

Assume that I've played the disc halfway, and I shut down the player. After that, when I 'resume' from where I've stopped, I could hear the lens travel all the way from the middle to the front, and then back.

This consumes a heck of my batteries, and as a result, my batteries die off quickly (compared to my old SL-CT570).
Do you guys have this problem when you use your players?

Another question is regarding the purchase of earphones.
The pair of earbuds (that came with the Asian set) is pretty good for a "out-of-the-box" earbud, but I want to change it into something better. Based on the reviews conducteds here, I've limited down to 2 choices: the Sony E888s, and the MX500.

My question is that: Are these 2 earphones far better than the standard stock earbuds that Panasonic gives?

I listen to jazz, and pop.
I've my eyes set more on the 888s, but I heard that they go less deep in bass.
Is that true?

And, are the 888s 'shrieky', I can't stand prolonged exposure to huge anounts of treble...

Thanks a lot for your replys, and I'm looking forward to reading them. Thanks once again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 7
Okay...
smily_headphones1.gif
my CT780 is also the Asian version I think, the manual comes in English, Simplified and Traditional Chinese
smily_headphones1.gif

About the way the pickup behaves, I think that's just how Panasonic CD players is. On models before the 780, you can choose whether to use resume or not; if you switch resume on, and turn off the power, the pickup will not return to the center, it will stay where it was when you stopped playback.

Then when you press play (to turn power on), it goes back to the "front" to read information, then move back to the track you stopped on. Try this with your CT570 - use resume, turn off power and open the player to see the pickup
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know why Panasonic players are like this... but because resume can't be turned off on the 780, I'd guess there's no way to stop the pickup from going back and forth.

But the 780 is supposed to have a lot of battery life. The battery capacity is 650mAhx2 on the 570, 1400mAhx2 on the 780. Remember that, sometimes the battery meter will temporarily drop to very low, but then it'll recover. The "real", "useful" battery level is the one you see after recovery.

You should definitely buy your own earphones, they will be better than whatever Panasonic supplies with the 780.

I don't think the 888 is that light on bass, but its shape doesn't fit most people's ears very well. If you can't get the 888 to "seal" your ears, it will sound as if it's light on bass. If you can't afford the 888, definitely buy the MX500. You guys in Singapore are lucky... not every country gets the MX500 on the streets :p

Panasonic portables are usually not shrieky, especially when compared to Sony portables.
smily_headphones1.gif
Welcome to head-fi!

Mar 28, 2002 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the response..
So how was battery life on your set?
Is it considerably long?
Mine was quite short, thinking of sending it back for a repair or some sort..

I was curious as to why the Sony E888s are weird to some ears.
I've rather small ear canals, even the Sony EX70 earbuds (one of my friend's) can't really seal my ears, even with the smallest S size.
How queer is the Sony E888's size? Are they too small to seal the ears or it's because of the design?

Anyway, thanks for the info, think I'll go with the Sony E888s.
Hmm..
One thing bad in Singapore is that I can't find the SP version of the E888s anywhere in Singapore... =)

Mar 28, 2002 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Actually, SNAG, both the E888 and the MX500 may be too big to fit into some ears; as a result, some people may find those earbuds falling off their ears. Thus, in order for the earbuds to fit properly inside the ears, they would have to be of the right size.
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Hmm... Really?
Maybe I should find someone who has the 888s for a trial run.. hehe.

Anyway, I measured my stock Panasonic earphones, and they were 16mm in diameter.. But I think the shape of the earphones count, don't they!

Just to share my little experience that I had just now.
I tried connecting the earbuds directly to the player, and my god, they were much better.. So it's more of the remote limiting the quality of the sound. I shall not use the remote next time...

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 7
That's the problem with the 780... if you don't use the remote, you can't switch the EQ (if you use it), and volume buttons might be a bit harder to reach.

The reason the 888 doesn't fit the average ear very well is because of this rubber ring around the driver (which sony calls the silent cap). It doesn't do much to prevent sound leakeage, and adds a lot of diameter to the 16mm driver. Panasonic earbuds typically have 15mm drivers, but they're circular in shape and usually not as big in overall diameter.

I was going to suggest the Sony E831 earbuds, they're smaller in diameter... but it seems that it's no longer available. The E827 has the same specs but I don't know if they sound the same.

Battery life with my 780 is a lot longer than my mom's 570, and my 430. Sometimes recharging would turn off for unknown reasons... maybe that's why battery life on yours is low?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you wear T-shirts all the time, the SP version isn't very sensible... but that's just me
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back