Calling all minidisc owners - you have a DAC awaiting liberation.
Apr 29, 2009 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mark_h

Headphoneus Supremus
Nota Bene: I copied this directly from another f'rum because I thought it was interesting! (the author was Gaunalk).

I have had a sony minidisc MDS JE500 sitting on my shelf for over 5 years collecting dust..... untill today!

The machines 1-Bit Hybrid Pulse DAC inside my machine is now liberating my itunes Library.

How? simply by using connecting my iMac using an optical cable to the minidisc player input and using the analogue outputs to feed my AMP. Press REC without a minidisc inserted and it operates in Monitor mode. (The headphone monitor is also handy)

WOW! and to think i nearly retired my machine to a charity shop.

Anyone else using their minidisc players for DAC duties?

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had a sony minidisc MDS JE500 sitting on my shelf for over 5 years collecting dust..... untill today!

The machines 1-Bit Hybrid Pulse DAC inside my machine is now liberating my itunes Library.

I have a similar old sony MD JE 520 with a "Wide Bit Stream" dac, and I used that kind of connection when I wanted to make MDs from CDs. I dont think the dac is that great. The sound of the machine improved greatly when I used the digital outs with an old Adcom dac I picked up.

That said, an improvement is an improvement, and if using this sounds good to you, there's no reason not to use it.

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else using their minidisc players for DAC duties?

Indeed, my MDS-JE640 has coaxial and optical inputs - very handy for connecting to my other units with those outputs. With everything running through the MD deck as the 'control centre' it's a great way of keeping those MD memories alive. You can even make the odd MD recording if you like
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 14
It could come in handy but mine's impractical.

AFAIK it doesn't have line out, so I'm stuck with the (portable) built-in HP out. And in my case I don't have an optical output from the transport, so I'd need conversion there too.

May 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 14
I have a SONY JA333ES, going to give this a try, thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 14
I use my Hi-MD to rip lp's into PCM - great results.

May 19, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my Hi-MD to rip lp's into PCM - great results.

Now this is gets my "Good Call" award. (First one given out
biggrin.gif
) You should see the money in the mail soon.

Nice sharing with us Mark H.

I have an old portable MD recorder but haven't seen it since getting my first multimedia PC. I'm on my third but still have not started transferring family material on cassette, VHS and LD concerts to DVD. I really should pull the MD player out and give it a spin vs the ipod.

May 20, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 14
tried it, and though it works, on my sony md player (MZ-R5ST), it won't pass the signal to the analog out unless I have an MD on the unit, and am doing recording.. so it's not that convenient.. still works, I just have to erase the whole recording at the end of the 64mins.

thanks for the tip anyway, it's really handy.
popcorn.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 14
Can you not just press 'pause' before pressing 'record'? Then you'll still receive a signal without having to record anything. I do this with my RH1 sometimes whilst watching concerts on digital tv via the Toslink connection on the back of my digital tv set top box. Sometimes I record, other times I stream.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tried it, and though it works, on my sony md player (MZ-R5ST), it won't pass the signal to the analog out unless I have an MD on the unit, and am doing recording.. so it's not that convenient.. still works, I just have to erase the whole recording at the end of the 64mins.

thanks for the tip anyway, it's really handy.
popcorn.gif

Hi ting.mike, on my JB930 it is enough to just press the record button without a disc in the machine. The display then reads -DA and an analog signal comes out. Hope that helps

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 14
I had one high-end Sony minidisc recorder but my sis tossed it away :/
someone is selling Sony MZ-R91 with non working laser. It should still do the converting right? hes selling it for 30€. Worth the money?

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #14 of 14
That's kind of funny... I used to use my JE510 as a DAC/headphone amp regularly in the living room.

Now that I have a total bithead, the minidisc deck sits once again... Always a conversation starter for people in the know, or observant people who just have no idea what that thing with the little slot is.

I need to record something and see just how amazing it sounds. I always was remarkably impressed with them... Gotta check if the portable player still works!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back