Calling all Klipsch image X10/X5 owners - ear gel help needed
Feb 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bunsco

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I got me a pair of Klipsch Image X10 which im enjoying loads - that is for the first 15 minutes or so as whatever gels I use become very uncomfortable verging on painful as i have to virtually push them till it reaches my brain to get optimal SQ and seal - in the process making the surrounds of the ear canal very sore after a while.

Has anyone else come across this with the X10s/X5s, if so - how did you address the issue.

Were Sony hybrids (EP-EX10A) buds or Comply T100 gels the answer?

I looking for that nirvana of comfort/seal/SQ that Im sure some solution out there can deliver on.

I really don't want to sell these as I love the sound they can produce with the right source, and i desperately want to enjoy them the way there meant to be enjoyed.

Any help given most appreciated.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 17
I used the comply T100's when I had the X5 and they were very comfortable. I would recommend the Shure black foam tips. I get a better seal and improved bass response with them.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 17
Klipsch's tips are too small. Even the largest size barely created a seal for me, so I think it's a pretty common problem.

I'd 2x the suggestion to use shure olives. They fit perfectly.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 17
Well that sure doesn't sound right- one of the main hallmarks of these phones is the comfort. I'll forget that I have my X10s in sometimes, and I've fallen asleep with them in without noticing. I use the largest single flanges.

I'd suggest going through the included tips again, but you shouldn't have to push it all the way down your ear canal to get a good fit.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that sure doesn't sound right- one of the main hallmarks of these phones is the comfort. I'll forget that I have my X10s in sometimes, and I've fallen asleep with them in without noticing. I use the largest single flanges.

I'd suggest going through the included tips again, but you shouldn't have to push it all the way down your ear canal to get a good fit.

I know, thats what i dont get - comfort was one of its main attributes. I've gone through all the tips, the small one was far too small, the mids were the most comfortable but insolation was a bit crap, the bi-flanges bore to my brain to get good sound and the large ones just didn't do it for me.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 17
Make sure the tips are placed properly on the phones. When I had the S4, the first time I used it the oval tips were lying horizontally on the IEM, and comfort wasn't great. They have to be vertical (longer ends of the oval running up and down).

That said, I still found the sony hybrid tips to be more comfortable for my ears. YYMV.

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, I still found the sony hybrid tips to be more comfortable for my ears. YYMV.

Sony hybrid tips fit on the Image series? I would have thought the openings would be too large to fit on the bores.

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 17
I had the same issue.

With the medium flange, my X10's sounded fine but they kept falling out of the ear a sometimes (one more than the other too!), so I thought I would try a smaller flange and was surpsied that felt and sounded alot worse which didn't make much sense, then I realised my ear was feeling the actual metal and the flange was providing hardly any protection which created some soreness and the bass just became bloated to saturaton.

I ended back on the medium single flange and just try not to move my mp3 player in excess or run. If only they had a double flange the same size as the medium single flange :/

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsch's tips are too small. Even the largest size barely created a seal for me, so I think it's a pretty common problem.

I'd 2x the suggestion to use shure olives. They fit perfectly.

Does anyone know what the shure olives are actually called - as shure olives return no answers on google shopping search - and not in ebay either.

In fact can anyone tell me where i can buy these things (preferably in the UK)

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bunsco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know what the shure olives are actually called - as shure olives return no answers on google shopping search - and not in ebay either.

In fact can anyone tell me where i can buy these things (preferably in the UK)

Shure Black Foam Sleeves

EABKF1-10S [ 5 pairs, small ]

EABKF1-10M [ 5 pairs, medium ]

EABKF1-10L [ 5 pairs, large ]

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure Black Foam Sleeves

EABKF1-10S [ 5 pairs, small ]

EABKF1-10M [ 5 pairs, medium ]

EABKF1-10L [ 5 pairs, large ]

Thanks for the quick response
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for the quick response
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, forgot to ask - and these definitely fit the Klipsch X10s, and how easy/hard are they to remove?

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Oh, forgot to ask - and these definitely fit the Klipsch X10s, and how easy/hard are they to remove?

Yes, they fit. The X10, X5, and S4 have the same nozzle size. For me it was easy to put on and a bit of a pain to remove. When you remove them use a twist and pull method. It made it easier for me to remove.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 17
So what do the Olive do to the sound - the X10s base in renowned for its luscious base - so no need for more - what about the rest of the spectrum from mids to highs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back