Calling all Head-fi elites (Modding HD280 PRO to HMD 280 PRO)
Feb 24, 2005 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mi1stormilst

New Head-Fier
After doing months of research I finally decided that the best headphones for MY purposes are the Senn HD280 Pros. Now I don't want to hear a million and a half reasons why I should have purchased something else. I simply need help in resolving a problem that came to light 10 minutes after the order shipped. I was under the impression that the HD280 Pros had the ability to add a BOOM mic. After emailing SENN they have advised me to purchase the H-MD 280 PROs that already have the BOOM. This is not an option as the order has been placed and shipped. I was able to verify with SENN that these headphones are identical minus the BOOM. Here are the possible solutions I have come up with so far:

1.) Find the parts and install the BOOM myself (instructions in the manual according to SENN)

Problem: I can't find the parts anywhere...

2.) Send it into SENN and pay a BUTTLOAD of money to have them add it.

Problem: BUTTLOAD of money

3.) Get some community members with elite resources to get SENN to cough up the parts for the cost of the parts, or help me find them elsewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

Garrett

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 11
Depending on where you are (in the US?), couldn't you just return the HD280's for a refund when they arrive, and buy the HMD-280's instead? You're probably out the cost of 2-way shipping, but it seems like the simplest approach and probably a lot cheaper than getting them modified.

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 11
I suppose I could but wouldnt that be the easy way? Besides I got the HD280 for $89.00 surely the MIC is not worth $150.00?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Depending on where you are (in the US?), couldn't you just return the HD280's for a refund when they arrive, and buy the HMD-280's instead? You're probably out the cost of 2-way shipping, but it seems like the simplest approach and probably a lot cheaper than getting them modified.

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Unfortunately the parts for the conversion is expensive. It is cheaper to just purchase the HMD 280 Pro.
Also, there are more parts than you would think.
For example, you have to exchange the whole cable and one of the housings.

Apparently, you would need to do some soldering too.

And remember, the HMD 280's cable comes with bare ends, no plugs whatsoever.
Sennheiser can add whatever plugs you want, but that'll cost you.

Oh yeah...another thing. :wink:
The microphone on the HMD 280 will NOT work directly from a regular soundcard. It needs some sort of amplification.

So in this case, there's no easy way out.
Either return the HD280 and get a new HMD 280, or buy a little mic that you can clip to your shirt.
Or, even better, get a Beyerdynamic DT234.

The only expensive headset I've seen that have regular 3.5 mm plugs and a mic that can be used from a soundcard, is the Ultrasone HS-75.
Unfortunately this headset isn't easy to find.

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 11
)-: Very depressing I am okay with doing the MOD...however does anyone know what the parts would actually cost or where I could get them? I can't believe the MIC needs amplification )-: Looks like i will be running with a seperate MIC for awhile )-: I will check out the CANS...if i am happy I am done I suppose )-:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
Unfortunately the parts for the conversion is expensive. It is cheaper to just purchase the HMD 280 Pro.
Also, there are more parts than you would think.
For example, you have to exchange the whole cable and one of the housings.

Apparently, you would need to do some soldering too.

And remember, the HMD 280's cable comes with bare ends, no plugs whatsoever.
Sennheiser can add whatever plugs you want, but that'll cost you.

Oh yeah...another thing. :wink:
The microphone on the HMD 280 will NOT work directly from a regular soundcard. It needs some sort of amplification.

So in this case, there's no easy way out.
Either return the HD280 and get a new HMD 280, or buy a little mic that you can clip to your shirt.
Or, even better, get a Beyerdynamic DT234.

The only expensive headset I've seen that have regular 3.5 mm plugs and a mic that can be used from a soundcard, is the Ultrasone HS-75.
Unfortunately this headset isn't easy to find.

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mi1stormilst
I suppose I could but wouldnt that be the easy way? Besides I got the HD280 for $89.00 surely the MIC is not worth $150.00?

Ah -- didn't notice the price differential. Probably a matter of the intended market, since the HMD 280 sounds like it's aimed much more at broadcast applications and the like. Given that, and the fact that the mic on the HMD 280 doesn't really do what you want anyway -- why not buy a cheap mic, or pull apart a headset that has one, and graft it onto the HD 280's yourself? If you need further inspiration, see this thread, for a similar project, raised to the level of evil genius.
icon10.gif

Seriously, it seems like it would be simpler and give you what you want.

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 11
Well once i get them in I am gonna look around for a nice mic and graft it in...

I assume I will need a special cable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Ah -- didn't notice the price differential. Probably a matter of the intended market, since the HMD 280 sounds like it's aimed much more at broadcast applications and the like. Given that, and the fact that the mic on the HMD 280 doesn't really do what you want anyway -- why not buy a cheap mic, or pull apart a headset that has one, and graft it onto the HD 280's yourself? If you need further inspiration, see this thread, for a similar project, raised to the level of evil genius.
icon10.gif

Seriously, it seems like it would be simpler and give you what you want.

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mi1stormilst
Well once i get them in I am gonna look around for a nice mic and graft it in...

I assume I will need a special cable?

I'd think it's easier (if less elegant) to just run the mic cable separately, since you'll need to plug it into a different soundcard port anyway. I'd say tie or wrap the mic cable up with the headphone cable, but the coiled cord on the 280's makes that difficult...

Feb 25, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 11
What do you need the mic for? Do you just want a gaming headset? The simplest, most ghetto method would be to take a peice of bailing wire, glue it onto the side and wrap an electret mic down to the end and tape it in place. A decent little electret actually sounds quite good for voice, when you just want to tell someone to cover your ass or to insult them. If you want to do it less ghetto, then I'd suggest maybe covering it in heatshink first.
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 11
I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I'd love to see an HD-280 mod with a cheaper mic, a shorter cord, and an Apple-compatible TRRS plug.  And a five-button remote on the earcup with the microphone.  The Logitech G35 has about ideal controls, actually.  I love these things, but they're such a pain in the ass to use.

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 11
buy a blutooth cellphone headset, take it appart, install into the headphones (so you dont have to run another wire) and put a blootooth chip in the PC. re-configure the headset to not be in use, (so its only a mic) this will save power, and then bit of dremmel work and its inside your headphones, and you can extend a boom if needed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back