Calling all Ety owners
Oct 20, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #31 of 41
omg, that reminds me of that scene in "face off" where the fbi and the gangsters are having a shootout in troy's friend's house, and archer/troy puts phones on troy's son, and the kid sees all the action but is only hearing "somewhere over the rainbow"... hahaha, i actually get the feeling a LOT when i listen to my etys outdoors... only thing tho, was that kid couldn't've gotten that kinda isolation from his supraaural phones!!!
rolleyes.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #32 of 41
I use my Ety 4Ps at home at my desk (when I want isolation from the kids), at work (when I don't want to bother others or be bothered), at home in bed when I don't want to bother my wife or I'm taking a nap or meditating.

When travelling, there's nothing like them on the plane. Amazing.

Pretty much everywhere except driving. Sometimes I'll use my Grado 325s or Porta Pros if I expect to be interrupted and need to respond quickly.

Oct 25, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #33 of 41
My ETY-4P's are ideal in public transportation (also, you don't have to listen to others) and at my office (when I don't want to be distracted). They sound great, but they are simply not as comfortable as my old Lambda Pros.

The ETY's are ideal for today's sociopath
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by neckfox
My ETY-4P's are ideal in public transportation (also, you don't have to listen to others) and at my office (when I don't want to be distracted). They sound great, but they are simply not as comfortable as my old Lambda Pros.

The ETY's are ideal for today's sociopath
wink.gif

Not as comfortable but how does the sound compare?

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #35 of 41
Detailing is not exactly similar, but extremely good in both sets. On the whole, the 'stats (Lambda Pros) have a much better soundstage, and a more relaxed approach to bad recordings, excepting treble. I just love the high-pitched instruments and violins. Bass definition is also similar; not physically exciting, but seductively well-balanced. On the whole I prefer the Lambda Pros (a much older design), but both sets are much better than I hear over other people's more or less expensive sets with speakers, given a reasonable quality source. It is a matter of how much time you spend with your choice of 'phones.

Oct 26, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #36 of 41
In the house I only use my 4p's in the bedroom, otherwise I use my main rig or my headphone system (hd600/earmax pro). At the office I use an hd600/MG Head system. I wouldn't think of getting on a plane without my IPOD/4p's - isolation isolation isolation.

Oct 26, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #37 of 41
I use them whenever and anywhere i can (I still however am cautious about their extreme isolation)...I'm simply in love with my Ety's. I'm seriously thinking that I don't even need to get an amp and a conversion cable when I pair my Ety's 4P w/ my SlimX...the combo is soooo good!

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #38 of 41
Use my er6 daily for travel but I hardly take them out at home. I use my HD 580. I am still not sure about having something in you ear canal for a prolonged amount of time. HD 580 are no slouch and are the best headphones I have ever bought in my young life, they also have a long cord which is much easier to run around with than the ER6 cord. As far as isolation goes I have really enhanced my hearing alot, I can almost carry on a conversation with no music with my etys in. I also spend most of my time on the subway in and out of sleep so the isolation is great.

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #40 of 41
I use mine everywhere I can. However, I have lost count of the number of phone calls I've missed while listening. Great for flights, too. But the change in elevation feels especially bad with these in. I always fall asleep and wake up at a different elevation deaf and in pain.

Oct 30, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #41 of 41
I use my Ety4-RS' almost exclusively while walking the streets of Manhattan. My wife and I both work at home, and we're writers (additionally, because we live in Manhattan, our apartment is basically one big box). Because our work requires so much concentration we rarely play music full volume in the house as it will generally disturb one or the other of us.

So my daily tonic is to run errands and listen to my Sony D-EJ915 connected to a JMT-built CHA 47. I don't find the safety issue significant - When I used open buds (Sony MDR-E888's) I heard some of what went on around me (traffic, subways, etc.). Because I could audibly glimpse these things, I continued to rely on sound cues. This actually made me less safe, and there were times when I nearly walked into moving vehicles because I simply didn't hear them. When I started wearing Ety's several months ago it was immediately clear that I could not depend at all upon these cues for safety. As a result, my visual attention and acuity became dramatically heightened. I never worry for my safety anymore.

On the other hand, sometimes I just _want_ to hear how the world sounds. Sometimes it makes excellent music. Otherwise, my totally enclosed musical experience while walking to the post office or the grocery store or whatever is my treasured solace.

DGI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back