Calling All Btech BT928 Owners (or others with amp experience)
Dec 23, 2004 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ImMersion

100+ Head-Fier
Ive had this amp for a few hours now, and it sounds really really dark, kills any and all soundstage on my HD280 Pros, and doesn't sound all that great. It does add quite a bit of bass to the already bass-tacular 280's but overall right now I dont like the sound........and Im not picky at all. I dont know if the "tone" control should be turned all the way to the right, but at Half way, its too dark and distant. At 3/4 of the way, it sounds better, and at full to the right the highs are too prominant....almost shrill.

How do you have yours set up? (or for others with experience) How are amp tone settings usually supposed to be setup?

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 4
IMHO the BT928 is something you have to mod for it to sound good. I defeated its tone control by removing the two 4.7 nF caps next to the tone control pot, now the frequency response is OK (you couldn't get anywhere near linear unmodified, always lacked more or less highs). Imaging seems a bit better than when going straight out of the Aureon, at least binaural recordings sound more convincing to me. The tonal quality isn't quite perfect yet, I'll try to remedy that with better caps and resistors. The concept of the thing is fairly simple, a cmoy is noticeably more complex. BTW, should you experience hum, try another power supply with the matching plug and polarity (voltage wise, even 6 V may be sufficient depending on what's to drive, but 9 or 12 V should be plenty).

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 4
I bought one of these because I wanted a headphone amp in the hope that my M-Audio audiophile sound card (via headphone amp) would sound better than the headphone socket of my PC, which runs off a basic (though rather good) realtech PC audio chipset.

My god it's crap.

I don't know why anyone bothers. I'm taking this Btech 928 back to the shop, never to darken my door again!

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 4
How odd. I've had really positive results with this little thing, considering its price. I doubt you can find something which is that punchy for around £30 (which I got it for). I needed something super basic and cheap to drive my AKGs and settled on this for the time being. My goodness. It actually sounds pretty good with a bit of messing around. I do intend to mod the insides though, upgrade the caps and resistors, and probably cut the tone pot too, although I do actually find it useful to some extent... haters gonna hate, but find a better amp at the cost. I dare ya :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back