Calling all Audio Technica AD700 Owners
Jan 4, 2009 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KendiKong

New Head-Fier
Can you please comment on the fit and comfort of the AD700s and describe your own head size/shape.

ph34r.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 17
Soundstage is VERY wide, and these are the most comfortable headphones I've used, and many people will probably agree. Its just incredibly light and it rests on your head. Theres little to no clamping force on your head and I can wear this for hours. Some people complain about the weird velvety pads and how they itch, but it doesnt seem to bother me. I have an average sized head.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 17
Awesome, can't wait to experience this soundstage. I'll probably be picking up a pair really soon, especially since they're not particularly hard on the wallet...

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 17
I've seen multiple comparisons here of the AD700 soundstage to that of the AKG K701 (some have even said the AD700 exceeds the K701 in this regard). Is there anyone here who has owned both?

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 17
Why are you planning to buy a K701? If you are, why are you comparing a headphone you can get for under 100 dollars occasionally to one that costs over 300 dollars, plus you need an amp?

Makes not sense to me. If you want to compare the AD700 to the K501 or HD555, then yeah its a reasonable comparison.

If you plan on getting the K701 go compare it to the AD2000 or HD600, HD650, K601 or whatever. I just don't understand the need to compare a headphone made for casual listening to a top of the line audiophile studio headphone.

I hear a Camry has a V6, and so does a Audio A6. How do you think they compare?

Answer: Stupid question, move on.

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you planning to buy a K701? If you are, why are you comparing a headphone you can get for under 100 dollars occasionally to one that costs over 300 dollars, plus you need an amp?

Makes not sense to me. If you want to compare the AD700 to the K501 or HD555, then yeah its a reasonable comparison..

I'm interested in their soundstages, both when amped and unamped. If you've owned both and can comment, please do so.

For anyone else, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the soundstage similarities and differences of the AD700 and AKG K701.

Here's a thread where someone compared them nicely as an example.

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Makes not sense to me. If you want to compare the AD700 to the K501 or HD555, then yeah its a reasonable comparison.

If you plan on getting the K701 go compare it to the AD2000 or HD600, HD650, K601 or whatever. I just don't understand the need to compare a headphone made for casual listening to a top of the line audiophile studio headphone.

I hear a Camry has a V6, and so does a Audio A6. How do you think they compare?

Answer: Stupid question, move on.

Do you reallly think there is always a direct, predictable relationship between price and performance? That the soundstage of one phone could not compare to the soundstage of another simply because one is more expensive than the other? That you inevitably and without qualification "get what you pay for?"

Stupid answer, move on.

Tim

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 17
When there is such a huge disparity on price yes I do.

I really don't think trusted resellers like HeadRoom would sell the AD700 almost 200 dollars less than the K701 if the two headphones were comparable in performance.

I've made my point and don't see any logic at all in these my opinion, "asinine" comparisons.

But to the OP have fun in making your decision.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 17
I'd also say that the AD700s are also really comfortable to me, they have really little clamping and (to me) they still manage to stay secure. I wouldn't say my head is tiny or narrow though. I guess my head is more squarish than anything else but I haven't been comparing the shape of my head with other people.
atsmile.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KendiKong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please comment on the fit and comfort of the AD700s and describe your own head size/shape.

The fit is rather comfortable, but depending on the size of your head, you may need to tweak the two headband bars to fit the shape of your head better. I bent mine out to lessen clamping force (which is already minimal).

The pads are about three inches apart now when resting on a table as opposed to less than an inch and almost touching. This improved long-term comfort and wearability, and removed any trace of honk in the midrange. I didn't notice any increase in the soundstage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also wondering about their durability and fit. Another thing I keep hearing about these cans are their wide soundstage... are they really THAT epic?

Yes.

Quote:

When there is such a huge disparity on price yes I do.

I really don't think trusted resellers like HeadRoom would sell the AD700 almost 200 dollars less than the K701 if the two headphones were comparable in performance.

I've made my point and don't see any logic at all in these my opinion, "asinine" comparisons.

But to the OP have fun in making your decision.

There's a reason for price disparities that has nothing to do with performance and has everything to do with a manufacturer strictly controlling the street price.

For example, current-generation iPods will always be sold at MSRP by retailers. Always. You will never see one discounted, and if you do, that means Apple hasn't found it yet, and when they do, it won't stay that low.

I've listened to the K701s, and I think they're absolutely not worth the price, while I believe AD700s are a downright steal at their ludicrously low street price.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 17
lol @ the kid who raged over the comparison

I own the 700s and think the soundstage is unbeatable. They are MASSIVE headphones however. Not for the public.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #15 of 17
I've had a pair of 700's for a week now and these are my inpressions -

Sound quality is superb. Very neutral and nicely balanced. Seems to suit all the music tastes I have - Rock/Country/Metal/bit of classical and jazz.

Girlfriend doesnt like them as they are open backed so she can hear anything I'm listening too, even when she has her Zen plugged in!

As for fit and comfort, well thats an odd one. It seems I dont have a very big head ( I thought I did) and they seem to swamp me. I cant make any sudden moves or they could fall off and when I think about having them on my head they feel most odd. However, if I kind of forget about them then I cant really tell I have them on my head if that makes sense. Would like a little adjustment though.

For my late night Keith Moon impressions then I'll stick with the Senn HD212Pros.

Very pleased with the 700's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back