Call Me Crazy. The JVC-Victor HP-AL1000 tweeks and review
Feb 24, 2009 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yklee118

100+ Head-Fier
Here is the thing.

I have a love for all things in the world of high-end audio. I spend much time listening many orchestrated works through my Hovland H100 pre-amp to Krell KST-100 and Manley 300B Monoblocks. The speakers are manufactured by Totem Accoustics, Model-1built in 1999.

I also have an extreme fascination with high-end audiophile head-gear. More specifically the full-size headphones. My last order and pending is the Sennheiser HD-800, so diving head first into headphones isn't something new to me. I currently have a large array of full-size and clip-on cans. Most criticized however understandably so is the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro, the praised Sennheiser HD-650 with the Cardas upgrade cable, the prestigious Audio-Technica ATH-W5000, the mixed bias AKG K701 with the stock cable, and last but not least, the rather interestingly expensive Ultrasone Edition #9. All very good full-size cans, however not very portable, but again not meant for that particular use (I do take one of those headphones listed above for pure listening entertainment).

I have been considered by many of my audiophile peers as having a very much unbiased ear with source material, amplification, and headphones, so basically if I like what I hear or if my ears can handle it, then it is fine by me so long it meets my critieria of excellent sonic signature sound-stage, dynamics, and overall musicality. Every headphone company and model delivers a particular sound signature and many people who use headphones everyday for listening pleasure or just to find something to listen to will have a particular taste for certain headphones. Well that is me.

Anyway on to the JVC-Victor HP-AL1000 clip-on earphones

I have noticed that since its introduction into the world of audio, not many have cared to either review or want to audition these rather common earphones. Like with many headphones I own, these earphones also connected to one of my headphone amplifiers. As one early reviewer pointed out (only one by the way) these clip-on earphones are built rather well and with a headphone amp, these clip-ons can have a rather full range spectrum of sound and dynamics as specified on JVC's website (Japanese site and not the USA version). Rated impedance of 32-ohms, one would think that these clip-on earphones would work well with portable devices such as the iPod or Zune. Nope or not really well. The music output from the AL1000 is very lean especially in the mid-low frequency (below 800-hz measured by an audio engineer friend).

In fact some would say that these clip-ons are like every other clip-on type. Any they would be right if certain modifications are not applied. As specified in my short intro description, I basically would listen to the headphones and will figure out what would be required to make them sound full while maintaining a rather flat response throughout the frequency response specified in the manual (pictures will uploaded later during the week).
jecklinsmile.gif

Before any modifications were conducted, I listened to these clip-ons (after 100-hours of break-in) and all I can say is that these overall are very good for the type of earphones that they are. The Sound-stage is present with a bit of harshness especially in the mid-range where the zero-resonance chamber portion of all that advertisement that JVC has been putting throughout the box and their website. Bass frequencies are present, just. A very steep roll off after 60-Hz around -3db and 45-hz around -10db (I think i have those numbers correct). At low volumes, these earphones are very good (four of five stars), however crank up the volume, my ears will begin to ache with all the harshness of an AM radio piped in stereo. The treble at high-volume can literally destroy ones hearing after about a minute of listening (very sharp and overly bright - like a laser pointer being shot into your eyes).

Again sometime during the week I will provide pictures of the modifications conducted on the earphones.

Three mods were made that changed the overall character of the HP-AL1000 earphones. The first is the addition of dampening material within the chamber behind the driver to further reduce unwanted resonance waves and brightness character. I had to cut little quarter size circles in a micro-fiber like material, which I find to have a decent dampening factor without removing too much of the sound-stage imaging. Inserting one in each ear piece and then reassembling the earphones takes no more than five minutes. The imaging is much fuller with the lower-end frequencies presenting themselves with much more punch than without the dampening material. The harshness is reduced to a significant degree while the overall treble response is still present without much brightness. Stage one of three complete.

The second modification requires the removal of the foam ear cushion. This piece snaps off with the cover. Great care is required as to not to damage the rather fragile cover over foam pieces. Another quarter size micro-fiber piece is cut out and placed over the driver grill itself and then the foam pieces reattached. Stage two of three completed and the result is a further reduction in the overall harshness of the earphones. The sound-stage is further defined and the bass frequencies are much more present with a high-degree of control then without any mods.

The last modification is to the clip-on mechanism itself. Most clip-on earphones have a spring loaded detent device that allows the arm to swing open and close. This part does have a tendency to not close all the way to the point in which it hugs the ear. This results in overall loss in much of the fidelity of clip-on earphones. Sound leakage is inevitable especially with these types of audio devices. The mod basically involves using a small gob of epoxy and black electrical tape to hide the gob of epoxy that holds the little plastic piece that allows the arm to swing out. A better fit or hold provides better dynamics with a further enhancement of the sound-stage, frequency range, and reinforcement of bass frequencies. An expansive sound-stage results followed by a rather interesting openness not previously heard of with the JVC-Victor HP-AL1000. Stage Three of Three completed.

Conclusion

I have done the modifications and found that these changes are required to have the best possible sound without resorting to spending lots of money for other portable audio devices. These mods also helps when amplification is not available. Watching movies with these clips on such as with The Dark Knight is rather entertaining. Bass frequencies are present and tight with no distortion what so ever. So the overall sound quality was very good to excellent.

Any questions or remarks, feel free to drop them in this thread. Until next time. YKL
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 10
Really?
They do look nice though. Looks like $80 well spent.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Anyone with a home system like your's should never be considered crazy. Superb setup!

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the mods were fairly easy to do then?

Yes. They were. In fact they are necessary for which if bleeding ears is not part of the description when I purchased these earphones. Pictures will be posted on Wednesday of this week.

Thanks and have a great week
k701smile.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Oh I forgot to add the headphone amplifier equipment. The bulk of my amplifiers are all from China. I use the C&C F1 to drive the JVC-Victor HP-AL1000, which has great synergy. Other amps in my possession are the Xin Reference (from a friend), C&C XO+, Little Dot MKI, Little Dot MKI+, Little Dot MK-VI, and the Little Dot MK-V for everyday home use. The LD-MKVI is being saved for use with the Sennheiser HD-800 that I have ordered through my local retailer in Chino Hills, CA.

Again Call Me Crazy eh.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi,

I have these headphones (in silver - does that make a difference?). I got them in Tokyo while on business. The Manual is in japanese.

Your mods sound very interesting.

I'm a bit of two left hands and all thumbs when it comes to DIY and I don't want to break them. I like them a lot, they are good on the 8:30 to Paddington or on the Tube.

How do I open them up so I can put them back together? Is that in the manual that I cannot read?

And what is "micro-fiber like material" and where do I buy it?

Sorry if these are very basic questions, but I really want to try this 
atsmile.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Mods are fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back