Call me Basshead if u want..but where is the bass on 580?
Nov 18, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #46 of 87
After all this time, I am still listening to my 580 straight out of SB live! I try to use the cheap sony boombox...Man!! That thing sucks! The sound becomes so thin...much worse than my sound card.
I borrowed a Sony walkman from a friend yesterday, and no! That's still no better than my sound card. Poor me
frown.gif

And now I am thinking my sound card is actually a pretty decent source
frown.gif
This is wrong....

Nov 18, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #47 of 87
Please Luvya, why don't you read a little bit more before getting the cans, all these forums are full of information about the 580/600, the HD580/600 are high impedance headphones, not intended to be driven by portable sources, or soundcards, the answer is: you got the wrong headphones, as everybody says here, (and don't feel offended for that, but you pay the newbie price, and this is normal if you don't ask for information first, but this is the third time today I saw the same issue here, the same issue in three different threads, this is a nightmare here, "the PC Nightmare" it seems that nobody wants to spend money in anything than a computer to listen music!!!) and over this, you are trying to ask to a "glorious 580" that performs in a decent way listening to a bad source, and in three days (this is not time enough to break in the 580/600s) you want a miracle! Sorry to say that, but now you have two choices or get a CDplayer/amp combo that works with the HD580 and please ask first, not all the amps will perform in the desire way (400.00 minimum between the two things) or selling the 580, and get a different less expensive can, but expect to hear the same quality you got now or even worst, there is no way of listening a 580 wiht a computer as a source...IMHO OK?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #48 of 87
Quote:

THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN LISTEN A 580 (and I think any other can neither) WITH A COMPUTER WITH GOOD RESULTS, PERIOD!!!!!

I thoroughly, highly disagree. And I don't necessarily appreciate the tone you've used to get your point across.
frown.gif

Nov 18, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #49 of 87
quick question guys about the 580 and portable headphone amps. will the Fixup Mini or Porta Corda 2 be powerful enough to "adequately" drive a 300-ohm headphone?? Fixup's site said that several reported that it was, and he lists his units output at 450ma. Does anyone here have experience in this? I am interested in these but unsure if either of these amps will be good enough. thanks

Nov 18, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #50 of 87
Hi William;
Trying to be polite enough, and fair with Luvya, as a newbie, I just modify the post, please read it to see if you like it now, of course this is my opinion and as I respect the opinions of most of the headfiers here (even when sometimes I do not agree with them) I hope you respect mine, and if you like the sound of the soundcard this especific post is talking about, I know and I own the live, and maybe you like the sound of it but I do not, and I heard enough the live and the 580 as I own a 600, and I think I can say that, right William? (even when it was not writen on one thread initiated by you, and you are not the moderator in any of the forums here), but you were right, I think I was a little bit rude in my first post. I apologize with Luvya in that case....
wink.gif
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #51 of 87
Sov, you can say what ever you want. I can disagree if I so choose. When you say you're trying to be polite, etc. and use the manner and language you do it does not come across that way. And I don't think I need to be a moderator to say if I don't appreciate something.

Quote:

I know and I own the live, and maybe you like the sound of it but I do not, and I heard enough the live and the 580 as I own a 600, and I think I can say that, right William? (even when it was not writen on one thread initiated by you, and you are not the moderator in any of the forums here),

You didn't mention the live, you expressed about computers in general in a rather harsh way. And what does the fact that the thread wasn't initiated by me have to do with anything?

Austonia, I'm not sure about the mini, but I know the original Porta Corda had a hard time driving my 600's at the meet yesterday. Ltucci1924 had a super mini he was driving his 580's with and I believe he initially got good result with it. You may want to PM him about it or check out his threads. IMO, the best cost effective solution to drive the 580's or 600's would be a Meta42, but there are other options out there as well

Nov 18, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #52 of 87
Luvya. I use my computer as one of my sources and It does sound pretty good. Not CD quality, buy very, very close. You may want to consider an external sound card like the Sonica or another like that. I've not heard the SB live, but I've read a lot about it not being as favored as the Santa Cruz. Keep in mind I've had an MG Head and a Sugden used in conjuction with it as well.

Nov 18, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #53 of 87
William do you really believe that there is "any" sound card just comparable to a "good" CD player/amp setup in sound quality???? I owned also an audigy and an audiophile 24/96 in the past and the results were very similar, once you get used to an amp and a cd player, the PC sounds funny...But why every time someone has a problem with a nice set of cans, and well know as nice the 580 are excellent, begins to write about that, instead of asking why mine sounds funny? 98% of the times when you look back, this person is trying to drive it with a non appropriate source, but instead of asking first, they just write, and sometimes is upsetting that...I'm very pleased with my 600 and I love the way they sound, and I do dislike that someone say that there is any lack of this or that (even when is a personal opinion) or any other fantasy, being not truth, just because the setup is not the right one.
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #54 of 87
I think a good soundcard plus a well encoded digital music file will give a similar sound to the cd quality. When I mean digital format, I do not mean mp3s at 128kbps. At least 256 kbps with LAME. Nah. I am using laptop notebook as my source. Yamaha soundcard. The sound is IMO even better than audigy. Audigy is a tad bright and harsh for my setup but the yamaha is excellent. Also, all my mp3s are well encoded. I am even thinking of getting some APE files or those lossless format.. but it's hard to find songs at APe format unless you encode them yourself.
some head-fiers have done A/b ing and they find that the 320kbps with LAMe has infact no difference from cd quality. Their setup is remarkable as well.. some expensive amp, hd600 and good soundcard as well as cd player.Try searching for the thread.

I do not believe that mp3s are junk. They are easily more portable ( esp that now ipod is available so cheap) can carry few GB of files. Carrying like 5 cds is already a hassle.. esp since I don't usually like alll the song in 1 cd too. So it makes changing the cd very troublesome.

I consider myself as one of the head-fiers who actually has mp3 and soundcard as its source. That's why I will never be able to really touch hi-fi line. But at least mid-fi is good enough to my ears
biggrin.gif

Is there any other head-fiers who use mp3 as their source
biggrin.gif
??

Nov 18, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #55 of 87
anyway this thread was good because it talked me out of getting the 580s even as cheap as they are (comparitively) at Newegg. there's just alot of very different opinions about the 580/600s. some other phones seem to have more universal appeal...

Nov 18, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #57 of 87
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody

Austonia, I'm not sure about the mini, but I know the original Porta Corda had a hard time driving my 600's at the meet yesterday. Ltucci1924 had a super mini he was driving his 580's with and I believe he initially got good result with it. You may want to PM him about it or check out his threads. IMO, the best cost effective solution to drive the 580's or 600's would be a Meta42, but there are other options out there as well

The Porta Corda can drive the HD580/HD600 loud enough but it doesnt do it well and it will sound veiled. Switching to Class A(PC2) will improve it further along with a PSU.

Luvya, the CD Player on your pc is at best average but by the time it comes out of your SBLive.... well... you know, you shouldnt make the HD580 touch the filthy thing.

Nov 18, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #58 of 87
Luvya, I recently considered my options for a portable amp, primarily trying to decide between a SuperMini and a Meta42.

The general impression I got from those who responded (and from other threads) was that the SuperMini (v3) is a great headphone amp for the price (100) and the small size, but that it's not as good as a Meta42. It occupies a useful niche, but I decided to pay more for a meta42. I do need something portable, but as long as it can fit nicely in a pocket, that's fine. Something smaller than that, while nice, isn't likely to be any more useful. And I wanted to be confident that my amp could drive even high-impedance phones loudly and cleanly, if so desired. The SuperMini may do this fine, for all I know, but I chose to take a small chance in buying something more expensive that I may not need, because hopefully it will provide me a greater chance of being satisfied with my decision.

It's nice to have options, isn't it? Sometimes a curse, especially for indecisive bastards like me. If you decide on a meta42, you'll have even more options to face, regarding components. Of course, you could let your builder choose the best option for you, given your criteria. In any case, if you do decide to go with a meta42, you should consider KurtW as the one to make it for you. He will be building mine, and has been very helpful (read: putting up with many questions) along the way.

piece,
rp:AUM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back