Call for Reviews: Monster Turbine Pro Gold/Copper and Shure SE 425 from a Hip-Hip Fan's Perspective
Nov 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cnote678

Head-Fier
Currently there are no full reviews of the Shure SE425 on the site-there are mini-reviews and opinions, but nothing complete. Also,  many people call these boring and lifeless sounding. Since I'm considering them and my primary listening interest is rap/hip-hop, an opinion from someone with a taste for that would count for a lot.

I'm looking for the same thing on the Monster Turbine Pro Gold (ideally with ControlTalk)-a total lack of reviews leave me wondering, would these be better for hip-hop than would the SE425's? There's a great review of the MTP Copper on the site, but it too is from a rock/celtic perspective-it seems the hip-hop heads have no money for these nice IEMs! Anyway, opinions on all of these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 11
I just picked up the MTP Gold and I think they are insane for hip-hop.  The bass is deep and clean, it hits just like a sub.  A good fit is crucial to hear the best bass.  They come with so many different tips which is great.  Luckily one of the tips worked perfectly for me, out of like 10 diffrent ones it came with.  I was starting to worry non would work.  I also have Klipsch S4 that also sound good with hip hop and have similar bass to the MTP Gold, but the MTP's are way better in the bass dept. and clarity.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 11
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply! One question: do you think the cable and overall durability is an issue? It's pretty awesome that the Shures have the removable/replaceable cable. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 11
Cable is very sturdy and thick.  These headphones are very well built overall.  Plus Monster has a lifetime warranty for one time replacement.  Mine don't have control talk feature.  Don't know if they make a version with it.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Do they actually make the Golds with ControlTalk? Do they all have ControlTalk? I'm confused.

Yeah, they make them with ControlTalk. It's an option for I think all of them.

Did you read my Copper review? In case you didn't:

Quote:
Time for some rap/hip hop. I’m not really a fan of this genre, so take this with a grain of salt. I’ll be using the Gorillaz’s Plastic Beach, which I do like a good bit. Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach’s bass goes pretty deep and impactful. Snoop Dog’s voice is impactful (like, you know right? Not bass impactful but chilling?) and smooth. White Flag’s flute is pretty and realistic. Violins (they ARE violins right?) sound a bit weird. Bass is almost headshaking. Vocals are hazy. Rhinestone Eyes’ synth and bass is well, nice? Really impactful and luscious. Damon’s vocals are hypnotic and smooth. Stylo’s constant bass rhythm is impactful through out and stays constant, showing how fast the Coppers are. Vocals are yet again hazy. It’s pretty annoying. In Superfast Jellyfish, the bass drum is huuuuuge has really quick, unrealistic decay. Synth bass is a bit less impactful. Vocals aren’t hazy unlike the previous songs. Empire Ants sounds beautiful and entrancing. Everything sounds wonderfully smooth. The Coppers really take kindly to the volume increase at about 2:28. They never falter, but I do have to turn the volume down a notch. Glitter Freeze doesn’t really have anything notable except that the Coppers convey the high synth sounds really well. The random speech parts are also pretty chilling. On Melancholy Hill maintains a constant bass rhythm that’s more of a background sound, which the Coppers do well at taming. Vocals have a vintage-y sound to them. Broken has some really nice effects to the song, and the Coppers do pretty well in that regard. Bass is yet again quick. Vocals are a bit recessed. Cloud of Unknowing’s breaking waves intro is pretty realistic. Vocals are nice and chesty. They remind me of an old jazz/soul singer’s voice in a way. Again, I dislike hip hop and rap. I’m far from your stereotypical teenager, and I’m far from your stereotypical Asian from the suburbs. Don’t like classical nor rap. How many teenage Asians do you know listen to Indie and such? 1? I’d like to meet him. If it’s a her, then I’d especially like to meet her!

I could make an actual decent hip hop thing for you if you want. Started getting into it a bit more since I wrote that.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 11

just to elaborate on this: its a lifetime warranty, with a one-time "your fault" replacement. If they keep breaking because of build quality (ie: left earpiece goes out) they cover it for life. If you rip the earpiece from the wire, crush it, chew through the cable, they will replace it once, for free.

Quote:
Cable is very sturdy and thick.  These headphones are very well built overall.  Plus Monster has a lifetime warranty for one time replacement.  Mine don't have control talk feature.  Don't know if they make a version with it.

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 11
I had this dilemma when my old Shure e4's stopped working (cable issues). Initially the revised build and Shure reputation lead me to the se425, but I decided to try out the MTPC based on the stellar reviews from this site. I can say with absolute certainty that if you're looking for Hip-Hop/Rap headphone stay away from the Shures. Coming from the e4's to the MTPC was an absolute revelation in terms of bass and overall presentation of the music. Although the Coppers are supposed to be more neutral they completely mop the floor with my old Shures for the majority of music I listen to (Hip-Hop/Rap/Pop) while still delivering decent soundstage and stellar dynamics with classical/jazz.

I'm not a total basshead and I enjoy other genres so the Gold's weren't on my radar, but if you are, the Gold's are a safe buy and either will be far more fulfilling than the Shures for this type of music. Especially if you can get a good price from an authorized retailer to qualify for the awesome warranty.

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 11
Does anyone bother to teach me how to take the offer from Onecall?
I called them and they offer me $229  for MTPC,. Also the sales rep told me that I can modify the price when I check it out.
But I can't find where to modify the price :frowning2: . Can someone tell me how to do that? 

Nov 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 11
Wow-thank you all so much for the replies! I am now totally dropping the notion of getting more Shures.

So I'm also getting the impression that the Coppers are considerably more balanced, while the Golds are bass-heavy. Is that true? And if so, is it true to the degree that spending extra on the Coppers is worth it? It's a fairly hefty increase...

Ishcabible, I hadn't seen your review of the Coppers because until now they hadn't really been on my radar-but, thank you very much for pasting it in. I'm pretty convinced at this point, but if you feel your further forays into hip hop has given you a much deeper perspective on the subject, I'd definitely appreciate your input!

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Wow-thank you all so much for the replies! I am now totally dropping the notion of getting more Shures.

So I'm also getting the impression that the Coppers are considerably more balanced, while the Golds are bass-heavy. Is that true? And if so, is it true to the degree that spending extra on the Coppers is worth it? It's a fairly hefty increase...

Ishcabible, I hadn't seen your review of the Coppers because until now they hadn't really been on my radar-but, thank you very much for pasting it in. I'm pretty convinced at this point, but if you feel your further forays into hip hop has given you a much deeper perspective on the subject, I'd definitely appreciate your input!

Awright, I'll conjure something up in a few days. Too lazy at the moment to now
biggrin.gif
That, and my portable sources broke so I'll probably run over to BB and get a Clip or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back