California Bay Area HeadWizer/Head-Fier Meeting
Aug 17, 2001 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 23
Well you're right Jude, the cost of living here is something else, not to mention the traffic and parking, etc.

To answer your question, I was born and raised in Midland, where my dad worked for Dow Chemical as did most of everyone else there. For a while Dow was working on new vinyl formulations for the record industry, and because my dad was involved in that he had a charter subscription to Audio Engineering magazine, which later became Audio. I still have a few issues of that from the late 40s and early 50s. My interest in audio started a bit later when I wanted to listen to music but we had nothing set up for it, just things laying around in the basement like Fisher tuners, Dynaco mono tube amps and preamps(before they were called mono-blocks), a AR-1 which had a 12" woofer and a 8" tweeter,
eek.gif
various tape recorders and tone arms, etc. So I started reading the magazines and started fooling around with the stuff so I could hear music on something better than a table radio. I've been fooling around with stuff ever since. I went to college in Alma where my parents and grandparents went, and then escaped from the cold depressing winters of Michigan after I graduated. I first over-corrected and went to Texas, but finally got it right when I moved to California in 1982. There, now you have my life story.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by KurtW
...and then escaped from the cold depressing winters of Michigan after I graduated. I first over-corrected and went to Texas, but finally got it right when I moved to California in 1982. There, now you have my life story.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm apparently one of the few who loves snow and cold. My wife has relatives in Midland. Small world. Thanks for the reply and for sharing that info.

Aug 17, 2001 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 23
I love snow, I love ice hockey, and I love New England, but I hate cold! I don't know, I guess I'm strange or something (my heritage is Russian, after all -- my dad graduated from high school in Magadan in Eastern Siberia), but that's that.

Aug 22, 2001 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 23
Hi Guys,

Let me know when and where the meeting will be and I'll make sure you have a NEW Max and New Cosmic for you to use! Tyll gave me the ok to send them. You can post the info here or e-mail me at todd@headphone.com Maybe this will help to get you all together!

Aug 22, 2001 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 23
Hi Todd,

A new MAX and a new Cosmic, that would be truly fantastic! I was working with someone to get a new MAX here but there were some logistics issues that needed to be worked out, so your solution would be perfect! I sent you a email with the info. You and Tyll are great supporters of this little hobby/obsession of ours. ..thanks again!
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #21 of 23
I received the new Max and Cosmic from HeadRoom...thanks again guys! I've sent out directions to everyone that indicated that they could come, so if you don't have them yet and are interested in coming, please let me know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2001 at 6:59 AM Post #22 of 23
Sorry for not joining in, guys. I only got the adaptor plug I needed to power the notebook a few hours ago, so I couldn't read Marcus' offer to fetch me in time. Well, bad luck for me, but I had a nice day, anyway - and I hope you had a nice meeting, too.

Greetings from San Jose!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: The only thing that really unnerves me here: No smoking in restaurants... Oh no!
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

P.S.: The only thing that really unnerves me here: No smoking in restaurants... Oh no!

ha ha, that's one of the things i love the most about california and hate (the lack of) the most on the east coast. there's nothing worse than leaving a restaurant smelling like cigarettes. sorry you couldn't make it out though! you can read my report on headwize, it's almost as good as being there! (well actually, it's nowhere near as good, but we can all pretend)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back