California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC Distortion
Feb 15, 2017 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mmd8x28

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, been an extremely long time since I last signed on here.  But I have done some changes to my audio setup now, and would like an opinion on where to first diagnose one of the problems I'm facing with my Sigma II DAC.  This is the original model, not the 24/96 upgraded model.

As far as I know, the 12ax7 tube was never replaced, and this is where I'm thinking I should turn first, but would like confirmation before I take a trip to Sam Ash for a tube, as it's a bit of a drive, but still cheaper than shipping for me (being unemployed and all right now).

Here's the entire setup:
Computer's Digital Toslink Output
Sigma II DAC
Hifiman EF2 Headphone Amplifier
AKG K-240 Headphones

What's happening here with this setup is, when the computer's volume control is set to 100%, on some songs where it gets loud and bassy (like Daft Punks Alive 07, Technologic song, when the song kicks off near the middle), it distorts badly.  I have verified that the EF2 is ok as I tried a different DAC, a simple RadioShack one actually (which I use for testing SPDIF outputs usually), no distortion on the same part.  This also verifies that the computer isn't having any issues playing the music either, or the source isn't a problem.

It seems the problem is lying squarely on the Sigma II.  If I lower the computer's own volume control down to around 80%, this distortion goes away and is no longer audible, but of course, this lowers my SNR too.

What should be my first course of action in troubleshooting this particular issue?  I'm almost convinced that the 12ax7 is likely the problem, but would like a second opinion, being I have no access to a tube tester.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 2
After finding zero schematics, I have just got done testing everything with a scope, and tracing out how the 12ax7 is in the circuit.  The Sigma II is NOT using the 12ax7 like we all may think, it's using it only as a buffer, as the RCA jacks are wired up to the cathodes, therefore it's a cathode follower circuit.

So it's safe to say, the tube is NOT causing this distortion.

With that, I don't think this DAC is worth the price tag it commanded when it was new, especially since the tube is nothing more than a buffer.  lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back