California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC 24/96 Info and opinion needed
Nov 16, 2003 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

boead

100+ Head-Fier
I’m looking for information on a California Audio Labs (CAL) Sigma II DAC with a 24/96 upgrade. It has a Telefunken tube upgrade as well. ($450 used)
What happed to CAL? Can’t find them on them web.

I’d be using an inexpensive Denon DVD-1500 for now and upgrade this transport later on.

I was in the market for a new CD Player under $600.

I looked at the Music Hall CD-25 and was fairly impressed with its reviews stock and very impressed with it modified. Stock its $450, modified its closer to $750.

I also looked at the Denon DVD-2200 (I can get it for $325, its $600 list) and the Denon DCD-1650AR CD Player (I can get for $500, list for $950).

Lastly I was looking at the Jolida at about $750.

Using the CAL Sigma with my current cheap transport what kind of characteristics can I expect? How does it compare to a Music Hall or similar?
Then, with a better transport, what can I expect to gain?

What level of quality in a transport do I need to complement a DAC like this?

Finally, at what price point does it become pointless?
CAL + Transport = $750
Jolida stand-alone = $750

Nov 17, 2003 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
i don't know anything about it but sean h has one up for sale for $295. he might be able to answer your questions about it.

The one I bought is less then 2-years old and has the 24-bit/96Khz DAC and a Telefunken tube as well as the original jj tesler.

I paid an even $400 with shipping.

The important thing for me is the24/96 DAC.

I'll let you guys know what I think.

Nov 17, 2003 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by boead

The important thing for me is the24/96 DAC.

The importance must be for some source material you have higher than CD I'd expect? You can do some searches of Audio Asylum on the 24/96 upgrade for the Sigma II and you'll find it's benefit over the standard Sigma II debatable. Most found some increase in resolution and extension at the extremes, which could have been of much importance to som people, but some found that to be at the cost of a little musicality. Some actually feel the original Sigma DAC, the first ones, were the best as they are to sound VERY analog-like. Of course, in time, Cal had adapted to growing demands and perceptions of 24/96 and started using these multi bit DAC's.

Anyhow, congrats on the new DAC!! They are quite exceptional. Easily the best DAC I have owned, though I've only owned the MSB Link DAC and Art DI/O. Better than most stand alone CD player's I have owned for that matter. I think you will be floored at how good they are. Still competitive with some of the best state of the art!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back