calibrated screens .. before & after thoughts
Jun 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

siptu

New Head-Fier
have any of you calibrated your screen.. whether it be the computer screen, laptop screen, television, or projector?

if yes..
do you remember any before & after comparisons?

my calibration went well thanks to using the graphics card software to help tweak the colors.
my television only got two of the three color filters, and the second one wasnt perfect.
but
my computer monitor got all three colors almost 100% perfect (except the convergence is far from perfect)

i haven't been playing games for a while and needed to reinstall a game.
it was call of duty black ops that i chose.
the graphics before looked like a childish cartoon-y attempt at realism.
but after seeing the colors again with a calibrated screen i was wowed.
the colors look almost as if they are photos with a reduction in the number of colors.
the amount of ambient light looked spot-on with the shade of color.

i got this emotion that creeped into me as if it was an upgrade for the video game.
(then i got drown and drown by people off-screen, shooting me dead in TWO blinks of an eye)

i started to laugh because the game was released in 2010 .. and if the computers could run graphics that good then .. well it certainly is an option for games in the near future to follow the same technique to provide decent visuals yet still run fast.
and when i'm talking about the textures only, not the explosions or other such things, it's a craft like legos.

........i'm willing to hear other stories of comparisons.
if you don't have a comparison.. i'm willing to hear thoughts & impressions about the after-result.
(bored with little to read)

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 7
i've messed around with some 3D renderings before.

i can imagine sitting there trying to get the perfect shade of color, and then the printer spits out something different.
as an artist the right shade of color is vital to acceptability.

can you send me a link to some of your work?
of all the years photoshop has been around, i really haven't flipped through pages of pictures from the program.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
i've messed around with some 3D renderings before.

i can imagine sitting there trying to get the perfect shade of color, and then the printer spits out something different.
as an artist the right shade of color is vital to acceptability.

can you send me a link to some of your work?
of all the years photoshop has been around, i really haven't flipped through pages of pictures from the program.

http://dudquitter.deviantart.com/

Mostly 3D. Not updated much recently.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 7
I had my Pioneer plasma calibrated about a year and a half ago now, and I would say it made a world of difference, totally worth the 300 bucks i paid the guy to do it. I thought i had it close using the recommended settings off of the AVS forum, but i think the difference between close and actually being perfect is bigger than alot of people realize. everything just looks so much more real than it did before, skin tones are amazing after calibration especially.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 7
i imagine many people already look at the HD picture and think it looks real .. probably hard to convince those people it can be better without increasing the number of pixels.

it is more than simply grabbing skin colors and sliding them a little bit brighter or darker.
when it is all done (thanks to enough adjustments to make it all possible) the picture should look stunning.

again.. people see the HD screens and say it is already stunning.
the amount of stunning could improve, especially if the depth in the picture goes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back