Calgary, Alberta Meet (Proposed Nov 7th or 8th)
Oct 29, 2009 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

devin_mm

1000+ Head-Fier
Well there has been some talk of a meet in Calgary so I thought I'd start a thread.

I would be more than willing to host it, my place isn't huge (I currently have seating for 7 though that could be expanded) but I have a copious amount of power outlets ( 3 dual socket, and 1 quad), I live on the UofC campus. I have proposed a date of the weekend of Nov 7th-8th but that is tentative. If someone has a better date/location feel free to post. Everyone is welcome regardless what gear you have meets are a celebration of all that is music not a competition.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 18
Pending any unforeseen family events, please count me in.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 18
I'm in too... as long as nothing urgent comes up. My proposal for a Calgary meet really didn't go very far so I'm hoping we get some more interest this time around. I'm hardly what would qualify as an audiophile, but I do still love my headphones and headphone amps.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 18
Glad you like them Joel, and it's good to know that they're finally getting used.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 18
I will be in. Please PM for detail of time and location. I will bring some food and headphones. Edison

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 18
I'd be happy to host it my place too, I'm in the fairly deep south though but everyone is welcome. I have lots of outlets and desk/table space to setup lots of stations.

I also have the area setup as my assembly/design station so if anyone wanted to do anything cable/diy related stuff the tools are there. Even as simple as soldering practice, or a recable or something.

Either way I should be in regardless of location, I'd really like to compare my balanced portable amp against something higher end... Devin
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 18
Augh! I'm in Calgary the weekend after, and I just received my new pair of Pro 900s on Monday to which I've already subjected to a fair amount of listening/burn-in time.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 18
Well, yes, but also it's hard to compare the two for anything.

The Ultrasones are closed headphones as well as a step above in terms of price range. I have to say, they're very addicting to use (comfortable, sealed, closed, generally pretty good at isolating), but I'm still not sure what to make of the sound signature... It's at times very nice, at times it seems almost without emotion. Type 0 Negative - October Rust, the guitar sounds great out of them - deep and heavy as it should, but I haven't had the opportunity to test out much in terms of source, so it's difficult to analyze. Much healthier bass than the Grados; It's not as 'pronounced' as people have claimed.

However, lately I've been generally disappointed with my current music selection. I feel like I've tasted the cream of the crop in terms of musicians and have few options left available. I'm an enormous fan of Akercocke, but that's a problem, because most of their recordings up until Words/Deeds (maybe Choronzon, too, if you're generous) have suffered from low budget (read:crummy bitrate and sq), and so only the last two albums benefit from these headphones.

TL;DR, The headphones have been fairly nice thus far, but my music collection has been the main detractor to the experience making it difficult to evaluate the 900s.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 18
^ I hear ya. It's almost impossible to judge headphones when you listen to metal. It's a shame that most metal is poorly produced. Maybe try some Opeth to really see what they are really capable of. It's a night and day difference when you've got a well produced album to listen to.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #13 of 18
It's evident that the 900s have more bass, but surprisingly, not as much punch as the Grados. Weird, because when I first got them, I was amazed at how much I could feel David Gray's 200 BPM double-kick. Now, not so much, it's tamed a lot, but now there's a seemingly omnipresent bass decay. Not as airy as the Grados, but again, the Grados still sound hollow and simply cannot achieve an 'epic' sound.

Of course I've only had them for a week and listened to them maybe ~10-20 hours at most, and I have a very mild cold.

Hell, I might be totally wrong about these headphones.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 18
With the interest in a meet but little confirmation of time/date, would it be a good idea to put it off a week and make it possible for Kayito-san to join us?

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the interest in a meet but little confirmation of time/date, would it be a good idea to put it off a week and make it possible for Kayito-san to join us?

"I second this."

pro900s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back