CAL vs. Senn. HD558 for movies ?
Feb 12, 2015 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jim McC

100+ Head-Fier
Which one of these would be better for movies? It would be plugged into my A/V receiver. Thanks.

1) Comfortable(ear space and depth, clamping pressure)

2) Good bass

3) Clear vocals

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 6
The 50-Ohm HD558 will work well with a modern A/V receiver's headphone jack.
My HD558 works well plugged into my Yamaha RX-V671 receiver.

The CALs are good sounding headphone, but I found that i could not wear my CALs for then 15 minutes before my ears needed a rest.
I can wear my HD558s for hours on end.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 6
  Thanks. What does "my ears needed a rest" mean?

The diaphragm in the headphone cup feel like they are only a few millimeters from my ear drums.
The audio seems to shoot right into my ear, I'm guess because the CAL have such a small cup, all the audio seems to go straight into the ears.
If might be because the CALs have a fairly good amount of bass, being produced in a small headphone cup.
So my ear drums feel "bothered" after wearing the CALs for more then 15 minutes, so I have to take the headphones off.
It seems I'm the only one who has this issue with CAL headphones.

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 6

The diaphragm in the headphone cup feel like they are only a few millimeters from my ear drums.
The audio seems to shoot right into my ear, I'm guess because the CAL have such a small cup, all the audio seems to go straight into the ears.
If might be because the CALs have a fairly good amount of bass, being produced in a small headphone cup.
So my ear drums feel "bothered" after wearing the CALs for more then 15 minutes, so I have to take the headphones off.
It seems I'm the only one who has this issue with CAL headphones.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back