CAL at 70 or Downtowns at 40?
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

oopsandohms

New Head-Fier
Hey there! I am new to Head-fi. I already picked up the Phillips Citiscape Downtown for 40. and they seem okay. Isolation and comfort are top notch and sound is above average and balanced from my experiences. However, I am considering returning then for the CAL at 70. I am looking for a pair which don't have harsh highs and overpowering bass. I want them to be tight and punchy, but balanced at the same time. I don't really need isolation, although that would be nice. I need them to be comfortable enough to be worn for an hour at a time. Sound is more important than anything though. Recommendations ($75 tops) would be welcomed as well.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 11
First post here, In my experience the cals don't have remarkably tight bass but it improves a bit after burn in. performing the markl mods on them should fix them up and make them sound great. I find the highs on the cals to be just right, not too fatiguing but they sound crisp.

Isolation isn't their strong point but with music up it should be fine unless you're outside. Comfort is top notch.

Good luck with your decision!

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 11
I have no experience with the Philips, but I do have the CAL and enjoy them a lot. They are pretty well regarded and are incredible bang for the buck. Tyll has them on his wall of fame for closed cans on innerfidelity if that means anything to you lol. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Does anyone have any experiences with the Downtowns and would they hold more value at $30 less than the CAL?

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 11
A slight stretch of your budget will get you the Citiscape UPtowns off eBay for about $80, which are superior to either of your original options, in my opinion.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 11
Pretty late guys, I already picked up the Downtowns. I saw a pair at Winners (canadian marshalls), so I impulse bought it. I couldn't resist. They have great bass response and are very, VERY comfy for supra-aural and isolate extremely well. Happy with the purchase.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Pretty late guys, I already picked up the Downtowns. I saw a pair at Winners (canadian marshalls), so I impulse bought it. I couldn't resist. They have great bass response and are very, VERY comfy for supra-aural and isolate extremely well. Happy with the purchase.

Oh boy. 

The good thing is that you are happy with the purchase. Enjoy! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back