CAL!2 vs?
Feb 10, 2014 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tquickbrownfox

100+ Head-Fier
Hello

So I've got a spare $100 that I could put into audio gear. 

I've got a FRD80 and a Sennheiser HD238 at the moment. Driven directly from either my laptop or my nexus 4. So I don't exaclty need another headphone at the moment.

But the CAL!2 is intriguing. Although information is limited and the hype is on low, the CAL!2 is the sequel to the very well received CAL! and therefore it manages to get my interest. I'd have to stretch my budget a bit, but for something that offers such seemingly great value, I don't really mind.

Alternatively, I'm also considering buying the Sennheiser HD518, which is being sold for ~$80.
Also, the PRODJ100 are being sold for ~$80
Finally there's the JVC HARX900, which is also well reviewed.

IDK. What should I buy? CAL!2? HD518? JVC HARX900? Something else?

I'm not looking for any sound signature in particular, I just want a polished sound. I kinda just want to be wowed, and I know from past history that any sound signature (natural, analytical, warm, bassy mid centric) can wow me. If I had to state a preference, I'd want something thats more towards natural, with a slight v shape. And the treble should be tamed, not very sibilant. And I definitely don't want something  that is very mid centric. 

IDK. I might even sell what I choose to buy after a month or so. I'm just looking to try out new sounds. My budget limit may go up to slightly more than a $100, but if you have something cheaper that provides impressive sound quality, I'm in. 

Preferences of Music: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and the Rolling Stones. Mahler, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Debussy, Rachminanov, Bach, Sibelius and Dvorak. 
Other Uses (besides listening to music): One major use is plugging the headphones into my guitar amplifier with a les paul copy for practising the electric guitar in a dorm room. Besides that, I will also use the headphones for movies/tv/gaming.

I'll probably be using them unamped, because an amp seems like more of an effort than I'm ready to make (having to carry an extra piece of hardware). Will currently use the headphones unamped straight from either the pc, the nexus 4 or a guitar amplifier's headphone out. Eventually I might buy a Fiio. IDK. I have tried them (though not at any length), so I do recognize the improvement they bring (I used an e06 with my xba 3... I have neither of those two products anymore. Haven't tried any other iem/headphone with an amp.).

Will be buying in canada, so availability issues will work accordingly.

Oh, and I kinda wanna avoid on ear headphones (I already have a hd238). 

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 13
None of those. The Martin Logan Mikros 90 is my top recommendation. Head over to the Mikros 90 thread for more details. I can't say anything more then we've said over there already.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 13
  The guy from headmania.me made an extensive and detailed review of the CAL! 2. He also talks about the Mikros on earlier reviews. 

His review doesn't tell me much because he doesn't use the stock cables, but a significantly better one. 
Tyll Hertsens said the he liked the CAL 1 better than the CAL 2.... so.. kinda doubting the CAL2 at the moment.

None of those. The Martin Logan Mikros 90 is my top recommendation. Head over to the Mikros 90 thread for more details. I can't say anything more then we've said over there already.

I don't see it for less that $199 in British Columbia, Canada. Help.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 13
  His review doesn't tell me much because he doesn't use the stock cables, but a significantly better one. 
Tyll Hertsens said the he liked the CAL 1 better than the CAL 2.... so.. kinda doubting the CAL2 at the moment.

I don't see it for less that $199 in British Columbia, Canada. Help.

I was using the stock cable from Sennheiser HD598, and yes it really did improve the sound a lot. The stock one gives the wrong impressions about the headphone. I will get the cheap occ cable from FiiO and test it, as I think it could be good with them. I definetly liked them more than CAL1, no question about it.  

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Mikros 90 are $99 shipped from New egg Canada... Just ordered a pair. The CAL2 is about the same though from what I could see.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Mikros 90 are $99 shipped from New egg Canada... Just ordered a pair. The CAL2 is about the same though from what I could see.

Mikros 90, in my opinion is ugly. Downright ugly. I'd never wear those.
Moreover, they're earpad headphones. Something I'd rather avoid.
Most of the reviewers have said that it lacks bass quantity and fullness. Some reviewers have said that thats true for its mids too.

I barely understand why the Mikros 90 are so popularly being recommended here. Seems kinda hyped up.

SO

Point me to a convincing review. Thx. 

Also, camelcamelcamel says that they've been on sale for 60 bucks. Is 90 bucks a good deal?

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 13

Most of the reviewers have said that it lacks bass quantity and fullness. Some reviewers have said that thats true for its mids too.

I barely understand why the Mikros 90 are so popularly being recommended here. Seems kinda hyped up.

SO

Also, camelcamelcamel says that they've been on sale for 60 bucks. Is 90 bucks a good deal?

The problem with them is that it is hard to get a good seal for some users. If you don't get a good seal, there will be a major lack in the bass department. However, the bass isn't one of the strong suits of these headphones. If you get a good seal, it is quite punchy, but lacks in depth. Also, the bass seems to get better after the break in period.

What I liked about them, was the clear sound & transparency they provided, and this is their strong suit. They also have good and fast transients.

However, these headphones could be a little weird, so users either hate or love them. It is better to try them first and then to decide if they match your tastes. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #11 of 13

SO

How can you say for sure they're hyped? In the Mikros 90 thread, we DO NOT go overboard. You should just listen to them yourself.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 13

SO

I was just pointing out there was a site that had them for under $100 in Canada. As I said the CAL2 is about the same price. So go CAL2, or another option would be the K545 which is over ear but they are $200-250 so may be higher priced than you want to spend. I have no comment on sound quality or signature in regards to the Mikros 90 or CAL2 as I have not heard them. The K545 is pretty stellar in my opinion though as I do own it and love it. BUT I recommend reading the entire K545 thread first as there are potential issues with it that you need to think about such as seal and ear size first. Actually ear size may be similar with the CAL2 as well since they seem to have a similar diameter. Anyway good luck in your search

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #13 of 13
I was just pointing out there was a site that had them for under $100 in Canada. 

I was just pointing out there was a site that had them for under $100 in Canada. As I said the CAL2 is about the same price. So go CAL2, or another option would be the K545 which is over ear but they are $200-250 so may be higher priced than you want to spend. I have no comment on sound quality or signature in regards to the Mikros 90 or CAL2 as I have not heard them. The K545 is pretty stellar in my opinion though as I do own it and love it. BUT I recommend reading the entire K545 thread first as there are potential issues with it that you need to think about such as seal and ear size first. Actually ear size may be similar with the CAL2 as well since they seem to have a similar diameter. Anyway good luck in your search

Honestly, since I started this post, I've kinda swayed away from needing portable headphones. My IEM's are fine for portable use, and I'm looking for a nice pair of bluetooth speakers as my next audio purchase (idk maybe the tdk a33). I don't see myself needing a set of headphones now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back