CAL! 2 vs ATH-M50x vs HD25-1 II
Mar 8, 2014 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Slivortal

100+ Head-Fier
(Lists are in order of desire/frequency)
Looking for: Comfort, Durability, Portability, Good Sound
Uses: Watching anime/video, listening to anime music/J-Pop/Rock

So, I have a pair of CAL!s that just broke after about a year of usage.  Other than obvious durability issues, I really liked them for their comfort (though the sound seemed almost staticky at times).  Looking into getting a replacement, narrowed it down to these two headphones.  Main questions are:

1. Are the CAL! 2s more durable than the CAL!s?
2. How are the M50s comfort-wise?
3. How are the HD-25-1 IIs comfort-wise?
4. Are each of these phones portable?

Obviously any critiques of sound comparisons would be welcomed as well.  Thanks for the help.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 7
I haven't used either of the CALs, but I can speak for the ATH-M50, which is the same as the M50x but without the removable cable. The comfort is decent for short to medium periods of time, no more than 2 hour sessions. A brand new pair's clamp is a bit strong but isn't skull crushing, it's just the on-ear design that brings discomfort over time. I have a cartilage piercing though, so the experience could be different for you if you don't.

In terms of sound, the M50's are very V-shaped in their signature. If you like boomy bass and bright highs, you will probably like them. They are nice for rock music. The M50 seems pretty durable though, I felt like I could throw them across the room without consequence while I owned the few pairs I had. If you want to modify the sound of the M50, you can always put dynamat inside the cups and remove some of the foam to make the mids pop a little more, I did it on one pair and really liked the outcome.

I have absolutely no idea what sig the CAL/CAL2 bring, so I can't recommend either for your uses.

I hope this helped a little. I won't be voting because I haven't heard both. Good luck in your headphone conquest.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 7
I haven't used either of the CALs, but I can speak for the ATH-M50, which is the same as the M50x but without the removable cable. The comfort is decent for short to medium periods of time, no more than 2 hour sessions. A brand new pair's clamp is a bit strong but isn't skull crushing, it's just the on-ear design that brings discomfort over time. I have a cartilage piercing though, so the experience could be different for you if you don't.

In terms of sound, the M50's are very V-shaped in their signature. If you like boomy bass and bright highs, you will probably like them. They are nice for rock music. The M50 seems pretty durable though, I felt like I could throw them across the room without consequence while I owned the few pairs I had. If you want to modify the sound of the M50, you can always put dynamat inside the cups and remove some of the foam to make the mids pop a little more, I did it on one pair and really liked the outcome.

I have absolutely no idea what sig the CAL/CAL2 bring, so I can't recommend either for your uses.

I hope this helped a little. I won't be voting because I haven't heard both. Good luck in your headphone conquest.

Thanks! So it's hard to wear the M50s for more than 2hr straight? I'm looking for something that I can preferably where for hours upon hours at a time (living situation). Do you use your M50s to watch video/use them for non-music? That's what I'd primarily use them for (general use).

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 7
It was hard for me because I have a cartilage piercing, so on-ear headphones sometimes hurt after a while, it might not be uncomfortable for you though. I didn't have any pairs for long periods of time, but when I used them I only listened to music.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 7
I own a pair of CALs and they are very comfortable, but mine had a buzz around 30hz and are no longer under warranty.  The CALs are extremely light but had a good sound.  I purchased a pair of V-MODA Crossfade LP which are built much better.  I haven't compared them to the CALs since they have the buzz.  They V-MODA are small and fairly comfortable but not as light.  I prefer my Beyer COPs for over all sound and comfort.  The COPs do clamp a bit more than the V-Moda.  My DT990s are the most comfy but are open and need an amp so I use the COPs more often.  Hope this helps a little.  You might also consider the DT770s.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 7
A lot of people have been labeling the ATH-M50s as "uncomfortable."  I originally excluded Senn HD25-1 IIs because of similar concerns, but are they more comfortable than the M50s?

May 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 7
If you're looking for comfort as a high priority, don't get the Senns. I replaced my HD25 1 ii, with the m50s, because of the comfort issue. They are too tight on the head and hurt after 30 minutes for me! m50s are way more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back