Cajun Music??
Dec 20, 2004 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Earwax

Headphoneus Supremus
Help!
I've been requested to purchase a CD of Cajun music as a Christmas gift for someone. That's all I know, no artists or titles were sugested.

Got any ideas for me?

Dec 20, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 11
Wayne Toops is pretty popular down here, but if he asked for "Cajun Music", chances are he already has him on file. Authentic stuff is a bit harder to find. I would rate Wayne Toops more of a "fusion" cajun/country type performer, as in modern English lyrics with a smattering of Cajun French phrases and cliches'. If your friend has no experience with Cajun music, the Toops would be a good introduction to that genre. Google "Zydeco" for more choices. Goodluck on dat hunt.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 11
cajun/country sounds good. She likes country and heard something cajun while traveling and liked it but didn't know any details.

Maybe I'll get one CD of each of those two artists.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 11
I spent a week in New Orleans this summer. BeauSoliel's new album, I believe that it is called "Gitane Cajun" or something close to that, was being played a lot. I bought it and recommend it for your friend who likes Cajun music...[Buckwheat is good too...]
icon10.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 11
I've gotten a lot of listening pleasure from La Toussaint by Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys.

Dec 22, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 11
I'll second OneMalt's recommendation, though I like their album Happytown better. (La Toussaint is more traditional, Happytown is more arty and experimental, so maybe you can choose based on that...)

If you're looking for contemporary groups who play in a very traditional style, Beausoleil is good. Also, there's a question whether you need to get something that's strictly Cajun, or whether the recipient would be happy with Zydeco; in the latter case, Clifton Chenier's Bogalusa Boogie is awesome, awesome.

Dec 22, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacundim
...something that's strictly Cajun, or whether the recipient would be happy with Zydeco; in the latter case, Clifton Chenier's Bogalusa Boogie is awesome, awesome.

OK, you have my attention. Can you explain the difference between Cajin and Zydeco?

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 11
In large part, racial. Cajuns = descendents from the Acadian deportees, a bunch of French settlers who got deported from Canada in 1755, and settled in the bayous of Louisiana.

(Black) Creoles = descendents of the slave population of the colonial French (not Cajun) parts of Louisiana.

Cajun music = traditional music of the Cajuns. Influenced by old French traditional music, and evolved into its modern form in the 20th century under the influence of Country & Western, Creole music, and Zydeco. More often sung in French.

Creole music = traditional music of the Creoles. Hardly any was ever recorded (unlike Cajun music, for which we have lots of 30's recordings). Influenced by colonial French, Cajun and African sources.

Zydeco = modern Creole music (from the 50's on). Influenced by the blues and Cajun music. Very often sung in English, or bilingually.

Both styles have a common pool of traditional songs. Cajun accordion playing, after the 30's, became heavily influenced by the style of Amedée Ardoin, a Creole musician.

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 11
I think a copy of Bogalusa Boogie is in my very near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back