Cain & Cain Abby?
Jun 2, 2005 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I was wondering what you guys know about these speakers. They look interesting, are priced atrractively and seem to be well reviewed. I get the feeling they'd mate very well with my VTL Tiny Triode (25 watt el84) monoblocks.

Has anyone heard these in person? What these things are going for used seems almost too good to be true.

Jun 2, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 8
It's a very high value speaker considering the amount of materials (namely wood) used. But if you aren't familiar with the Fostex single-driver sound, I highly recommend you go audition one first before buying the Abby. It may or may not be to your liking. It certainly is very different from conventional multi-way dynamic speaker systems.

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 8
I've only heard them twice, but I think they're quite excellent. Combined with a SET, I don't think there's much else you need. A 15" sub to fill out the very bottom of the sound range maybe, but I hardly think it's essential. A lot of DIYers have built speakers using designs simliar to the Abby and I can't think of anyone who hasn't been impressed by the quality of sound produced by such a simple design.

Jun 3, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 8
They are very well built and sound good. However, like ANY single driver design they will lack something compared to well designed and built multi driver full range speakers.

Nelson Pass of Pass Labs has a pair in his home driven by his First Watt F-1... if that's not a recomendation I don't know what is...
icon10.gif

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jun 3, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 8
The Omega Loudspeakers all use the Fostex drivers and there is one really major advantage to not having a crossover:

Realness.

Sure, it won't be as pin-point accurate, but less splitting up of the sound means more music - generally, these drivers don't do as well in high-and-low extremes, but these aren't just midrange drivers, so don't think it's just a midrange driver - even though the Omega line has a REALLY rich mid. Oh yeah, and if you are looking for detailed or airy speakers, look elsewhere.

Jun 3, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
The Omega Loudspeakers all use the Fostex drivers and there is one really major advantage to not having a crossover:

Realness.

Sure, it won't be as pin-point accurate, but less splitting up of the sound means more music - generally, these drivers don't do as well in high-and-low extremes, but these aren't just midrange drivers, so don't think it's just a midrange driver - even though the Omega line has a REALLY rich mid. Oh yeah, and if you are looking for detailed or airy speakers, look elsewhere.

I Agree, and I'll add that full range drivers are something you either love or hate... I personally do not like them very much, but there is certainly something to be said for the musicality of a crossoverless speaker.

If you find that you do not like the sound of single driver designs... In the same price range you can get a nice pair of B&W 600's, or Monitor Audio S8's, or Vienna Acoustics Motzarts, or you could get something really nice used like Legacy Audio Classics, or maybe VSA 4jr's if you are patient...

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jun 3, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 8
I emailed an audiogoner in NJ about possibly picking up a pair locally. If they'll fit in my Nissan I think I'll definitely bite on 'em if he'll give me a few bucks off to reflect a blemish. This way I get 'em durring the summer when I have a chance to determine if I really like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back