Caffeine Ultra cutting out problem?
Dec 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shirleywhite

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.
Got my Caffeine Ultra just before Xmas but only just starting using it. Got a problem though - and would appreciate forum advice before I get back to Robert in Germany.

Basically it plays fine if used off mains power- a 12v source plugged in directly. But if I use batteries the sound cuts out if I turn the volume knob up beyond about 9/10/11 o'clock(where 6 oclock is "zero"). I've tried it with bass boost on and off - also high/lo gain- and into full cans or iems. Makes no difference. Sound cuts out at some sort of "mid" volume point!! If I unplug the phones and plug straight back in -it comes back but then usually cuts out again after a second or so. It's almost like having an automatic volume limiter kicking in when using batteries!

I tried both alkalines as well as 9.6v maha/powerex rechargeables -- same result. Anybody else had this?? I'm 99% sure it's a faulty amp and will be returning for a replacement hopefully. But thought I'd check in with forum experts first!! Thanks.

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi shirleywhite,

I have a basic Caffeine amp as well as an Ultra, and neither of them exhibit that behavior.

I generally don't put the volume above 9 o'clock because it gets way too loud, but I just tried it at 11 o'clock (the highest I could stand) and the sound ramps up and doesn't cut out.

I suggest you get in touch with Robert. As his amps have a two year warranty I'm sure he'll take care of you.

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for replying RichB. Appreciate it. I'm convinced now it is a definite fault. The batteries i've tried are all either new (alkalines) or fully charged (NiMh). The cutting out occurs before I've even had the chance to go "loud!!"

One other thing I found though - if I run with a direct 12v source then there's no cut out at all. Can turn volume knob all way up to "deafening"!! It's all quite odd. I've emailed Robert now - and will hope he can fix/get another one to me.

Thanks again.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 4
No problem.
wink.gif

Hope you get your amp fixed or replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back