Caffeine addicts anonymous
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #2,283 of 3,173
Got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's easy to get a 20% discount coupon. Keep your receipt and box, should anything go wrong, they will accept a return for a full refund or swap more than a year later.
I will be heading over to the machine in a few minutes for some you know what.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...machine/1045397547?Keyword=delonghi+magnifica

78263045397547p[1].jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,284 of 3,173
Got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's easy to get a 20% discount coupon. Keep your receipt and box, should anything go wrong, they will accept a return for a full refund or swap more than a year later.
I will be heading over to the machine in a few minutes for some you know what.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...machine/1045397547?Keyword=delonghi+magnifica

900 bucks? I'm all for spending thousands on audio equipment, but I only have a slight interest in coffee, so I'm not willing to spend that much. (When I said "The equipment isn't an issue; I can buy whatever I need.", I meant buying the bare minimum that would get the job done.) Guess I'll go with something more like the $175 one mentioned when the time comes.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,285 of 3,173
900 bucks? I'm all for spending thousands on audio equipment, but I only have a slight interest in coffee, so I'm not willing to spend that much. (When I said "The equipment isn't an issue; I can buy whatever I need.", I meant buying the bare minimum that would get the job done.) Guess I'll go with something more like the $175 one mentioned when the time comes.
-20%, still plenty of bucks. If you go to Starbucks, etc. you will easily spend that much in a few months or less.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2,286 of 3,173
You don't have to spend a huge amount - a simple espresso machine + a grinder are sufficient to explore the world of coffee + enjoy many cups of coffee.
https://www.maxicoffee.com/machine-expresso-krups-calvi-xp344010-offre-cadeaux-p-26898-3_14.html
https://www.maxicoffee.com/moulin-cafe-delonghi-kg89-inox-p-12035-3_68.html
https://www.maxicoffee.com/cafe-gra...e-gourmand-250g-cafes-lugat-p-15336-6_58.html

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,287 of 3,173
He originally said, "But preparing it myself is a hassle, especially since I have next to no experience with that" which means grinding, tamping, cleaning out the puck and hassling which adds to the cost. One must make sure that whatever electrical machine they get uses a pump not just steam pressure to make the espresso. Most inexpensive machines use steam only.

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,288 of 3,173
If grinding and tamping are considered a hassle, then that limits a user to pods such as nespresso, or coffee bags such as senseo - but the taste will be poorer than using fresh ground coffee.
The least hassle of all, will be a jar of instant coffee - each to their own taste.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #2,289 of 3,173
If grinding and tamping are considered a hassle, then that limits a user to pods such as nespresso, or coffee bags such as senseo - but the taste will be poorer than using fresh ground coffee.
The least hassle of all, will be a jar of instant coffee - each to their own taste.
Or a semi-automatic or fully automatic espresso machine.

May 1, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #2,290 of 3,173
Or a semi-automatic or fully automatic espresso machine.
Coffee is almost religion here in France.

Even so, few people go to the expense of a semi-automatic or fully automatic espresso machine - those machines are viewed as justified if you run a bar/restaurant, hotel, conference centre, offices, etc, but too expensive for domestic use. True there will always be enthusiasts who are happy to spend €1500 on an automatic machine, and then only use it for one cup of coffee a day - but they are in the minority.

Virtually everyone is happy to use espresso machines in the price range €100 to €200 at home - most machines have the same functionality, 15 bar, and can use ground coffee, capsules or pods, so the choice really comes down to convenience and looks/styling.
The Krups machines are popular because they offer self-tamping, and a button to eject the used grounds from the holder, but are maybe not the best from a looks/styling point of view.

I have recently started to think that the journey to explore coffee grains from many areas of the world, is somewhat similar to the journey that audiophiles take to explore new equipment or new music/bands, in the search for new experiences.

May 1, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,291 of 3,173
I have recently started to think that the journey to explore coffee grains from many areas of the world, is somewhat similar to the journey that audiophiles take to explore new equipment or new music/bands, in the search for new experiences.

Most certainly. Blends are nice, but trying single origin beans from various locations around the world is certainly the best option in my opinion. I've tried various coffees from most major growing regions and I keep coming back to either Kenya or Guatemala.

May 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2,292 of 3,173
Most certainly. Blends are nice, but trying single origin beans from various locations around the world is certainly the best option in my opinion. I've tried various coffees from most major growing regions and I keep coming back to either Kenya or Guatemala.

I have found that I prefer a chocalatty flavour, and my favourite is a blend https://www.maxicoffee.com/cafe-gra...e-gourmand-250g-cafes-lugat-p-15336-6_58.html, - the Rose Diamond bean that makes up 90% of the blend is just too strong on its own, and it is surprising the impact that the other two beans have on the overall taste.

It is a journey though - I started out preferring the strong ristretto espressos, but during the past five years I have gradually drifted towards enjoying more medium strength espressos as well.
So tonight my new order will include capsules for drinking at the office, plus 3 new single origin beans from Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Tanzania for drinking at home.

I think that the hardest thing to find is a good decaffinated coffee capsule, for use at the office. So many capsules that have interesting descriptions on the packet, turn out to produce bland brown coloured liquid. It is a real source of pleasure to find a decaf capsule that produces a coffee that has some 'body' to the liquid, and makes you feel like you are drinking real coffee. :smile_phones:

May 1, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #2,293 of 3,173
Coffee is almost religion here in France.

Even so, few people go to the expense of a semi-automatic or fully automatic espresso machine - those machines are viewed as justified if you run a bar/restaurant, hotel, conference centre, offices, etc, but too expensive for domestic use. True there will always be enthusiasts who are happy to spend €1500 on an automatic machine, and then only use it for one cup of coffee a day - but they are in the minority.

Virtually everyone is happy to use espresso machines in the price range €100 to €200 at home - most machines have the same functionality, 15 bar, and can use ground coffee, capsules or pods, so the choice really comes down to convenience and looks/styling.
The Krups machines are popular because they offer self-tamping, and a button to eject the used grounds from the holder, but are maybe not the best from a looks/styling point of view.

Between my wife and myself we consume a lot, especially on weekends. The machine I got cost me around €650 with a 20% discount coupon, it's not for commercial use.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,295 of 3,173
It's past 7 AM and I haven't slept...and still don't want to. Thank you, Redline Xtreme, for most likely shortening my lifespan.
And you're spending all of your waking time and Redline fueled energy on head-fi bitching about the new website. Admit it, you're having a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back