Cabling: split cabled cup, KOSS-UR40
Aug 13, 2007 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

slag

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am trying to recable my KOSS UR-40 headphones with stripped-down Canare StarQuad (just the blue and white coil, no additional insulation.)

I have never done a split cable before, and am confused as to what line solders to what point. Is there no ground line, just two lefts and two rights? Or is one of the two solder points on each cup (left, right) a ground line solder point?

Here are some pics:
KOSS UR-40, right earcup

stripped Canare StarQuad:

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 4
there are 2 solder points on the cup...1 is + and another ground. which is which i have no idea though... ur gonna have to try and figure that out urself, what i did was unsolder 1 of the cables and try and see which one has a connection to the plug on the other end of the cable using a digital multimeter

as for the starquard... there are 2 whites and 2 blues

typically... (also what i did) 1 white to left channel (+) and 1 white to right channel (+)

both the blues are used for ground. so 1 on right ground and 1 on left ground.

u can click on the franken philkoss in my sig (no 56k!) to get an idea of how the cables look like. or u can check the DIY cable gallery for some possible pictures.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Using a homemade continuity tester and two "D" batteries I found that running current through the "red" line (top in the picture) would cause the diaphragm to move in addition to lighting up the continuity LED, while running it through the bottom line would do nothing other than light up the LED. For some reason the LED would light up regardless of which section of the plug I was testing; did I do something backwards? At any rate, the movement of the diaphragm when current ran through the top solder point gave me this conclusion:

I think that means that the top/"red" solder points are for the signal, while the bottom is for ground.

Can anyone confirm this? Also, is red a standard color for signal (as opposed to a standard for ground)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back