Cables-What Good Kinds?
Sep 5, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangsta
What kinds of cables are good for making RCAs, anything better than starquad(perferably not silver). I'm willing to spend $2-3 per feet. Thanks.

have a look at percy audio. there's also the belden cable as suggested by jon risch. I do not know where to find them though.

Sep 5, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 20
Good cable... how about cables with copper in them. They make great cables.

Sep 5, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 20
I just finished up some RCA's tonight using Canare GS-6 single conductor guitar cable w/ shield. It works really well, and at $0.69 per foot, it's a steal!

Sep 5, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 20
You are making RCAs thicker only equals quality if you are in marketing. The point I was trying to make is that any cable provided it is properly assembled from parts which are electrically sound, will do. RCAs carry near to no current so you could in theory use 30+AWG coil wire providing you can prevent it from breaking and it will sound good.

For reasonable interconnects why not use starquad? It is a good arrangement for cables, 4 conductors, copper, each 24AWG, and shielded. It is absurd to pay a premium for something that will in the end look and sound the same.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
You are making RCAs thicker only equals quality if you are in marketing. The point I was trying to make is that any cable provided it is properly assembled from parts which are electrically sound, will do. RCAs carry near to no current so you could in theory use 30+AWG coil wire providing you can prevent it from breaking and it will sound good.

For reasonable interconnects why not use starquad? It is a good arrangement for cables, 4 conductors, copper, each 24AWG, and shielded. It is absurd to pay a premium for something that will in the end look and sound the same.

I use 24 AWG canare and IMHO its a little stiff. Not a problem with my deck but my millet and earmax are small-ish amps that tend to scoot around a lot.

So... I'm nit picking here.... But sonically they are solid value IMHO.

Sep 5, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 20
Cardas wire is going to be way more expensive than anything like Canare, Belden or Mogami's mic cable. The 2x 23.5 Cardas litz is $2.40 a ft and you'd need two runs of it to make an RCA cable ($4.80/ft.). That's out of my price league when it comes to my DIY interconnects.

Sep 5, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I use 24 AWG canare and IMHO its a little stiff. Not a problem with my deck but my millet and earmax are small-ish amps that tend to scoot around a lot.

So... I'm nit picking here.... But sonically they are solid value IMHO.

I use Canare starquad pretty much everywhere, even their starquad speaker cables. The shield makes them too stiff for headphone use though, they make great RCA / XLR interconnects.

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
I just finished up some RCA's tonight using Canare GS-6 single conductor guitar cable w/ shield. It works really well, and at $0.69 per foot, it's a steal!

I can do better, #24 teflon SPC cost me a little over $0.03 per foot. It takes more effort since you gotta braid it together, but it takes essentially no time to do a 1m braid, so it's quite a steal too.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back