Cables In the Car (for iPod) - Audible Difference?
Feb 1, 2006 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DickxLaurent

New Head-Fier
I'm pulling out my car CD player to run a mini to RCA IC into the line inputs. Is anything more than a Radio Shack cable overkill for this, with it being in the noisy environment?

Thought I'd ask before I shove the deck back in, because I had to borrow someone's installation keys to get it out.

Thanks.

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm interested in doing this as well.

Anybody??? Anybody??? Bueller???

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 11
There might be a difference but the other factors would be much more dominant: quality of the electronics, speakers and wiring; how clean is your power to begin with; what's the noise level inside while the car is running (unless you play mainly when it's not...)
In any case, you should worry about shielding from ignition and fuel pump (notorious in some cars) noise and external noise from other cars around, even if yours is OK...

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 11
I agree, go with a generic cable if you just have a stock system, if you've put some money into your ststem then you might try getting a custom cable done, both Rnb and grandenigma1 make great cables if you need a custom job.

in reference to the post above, why do outside noises make ANY difference on what he should look for in a cable? same goes for power cleanliness and whether the car will be running or not. I dont beleive those factors need to be considered for this purchase

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 11
Assuming you're not driving a Mercedes S class with a custom-optimized sound system, just get something as sturdy and flexible as possible. Radioshack should be perfectly fine. With more than 70-80db background noise and usually less than ideal speakers, you'll hardly hear source differences, let alone cable differences.

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 11
High end cables will make the winshield more transparent!

(just kidding...)

See ya
Steve

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 11
I have a fairly nice system: JVC Digifine CD player with 24-bit DAC (though I've read that it's questionable whether this makes a difference in the car), Infinity and Pioneer speakers, factory wiring.

I agree that flexibility of the cable is an issue, and the Radio Shack "Gold Series" cable is rather stiff (but also shielded). So this issue alone may be worth investing more money to have a cable built. (And of course it just feels good to buy from an individual enthusiast.) I'm looking around the $30 range. Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with TURBO's cables?

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 11
why not get terminate the cable yourself with a mini jack somewhere in the car? it ends up being heaps neater. i did this in my old car and terminated the jack in the spare din slot under my head unit, so all i had to do if i didnt want to use the ipod was unplug it and there was no sign of the ipod ever having been near the car
wink.gif

(my new car has a a front panel line in on the head unit, its sweet as)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back