Cables: how I view them (and how you should, too)
Aug 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cymbal Monkey

100+ Head-Fier
This is my sermon on cables, and I'd like to start by saying that I don't intend this to sound like a ultimatum on cables (you're gunna burn!), but it's my thoughts on the subject.

I build my own cables, and I will not tell anyone that I believe they sound any different from a Pear Audio cable or a Double Helix, because I'm a non believer and I swear I won't bring up DBT... I build them because they're bomb proof and good looking, and I think this is how people should buy cables. Before my indoctrination into the world of audiophilla, I burned through cables, because I would step on them, tangle them, and just abuse them. When I realized I could build my own cables, I realized I could build a cable that would last a lifetime, and so I get silver teflon wire, because it's the easiest to work with, and I tech flex them and I use Switchcraft plugs because they're built for thermonuclear war. And it's just nice to have a good, heavy looking cloth covered cable. So here's my point: I think we should treat cables like nice hard bound books; the story is no different, but they look and feel better and last longer.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 6
Hmm... although I don't agree with that 100 percent, I can't disagree with your view on durability and build. I myself do "believe" in cables but looks and build are some of the main factors in it. If I'm spending money on cables, I want them to look nice and have a solid build. The Moon-Audio Blue-Dragon cable I have is a very good cable; both sonically and physically.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 6
Great OP, you are making your own cables
smile.gif
I make all my cables. Have a few purchased though.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
This is my sermon on cables, and I'd like to start by saying that I don't intend this to sound like a ultimatum on cables (you're gunna burn!), but it's my thoughts on the subject.

I build my own cables, and I will not tell anyone that I believe they sound any different from a Pear Audio cable or a Double Helix, because I'm a non believer and I swear I won't bring up DBT... I build them because they're bomb proof and good looking, and I think this is how people should buy cables. Before my indoctrination into the world of audiophilla, I burned through cables, because I would step on them, tangle them, and just abuse them. When I realized I could build my own cables, I realized I could build a cable that would last a lifetime, and so I get silver teflon wire, because it's the easiest to work with, and I tech flex them and I use Switchcraft plugs because they're built for thermonuclear war. And it's just nice to have a good, heavy looking cloth covered cable. So here's my point: I think we should treat cables like nice hard bound books; the story is no different, but they look and feel better and last longer.

Where do you buy your stuff from?  Thinking about about making some cables but shipping is ruining my fun, so I'd like to get all gear at same place to save on shipping (CONUS).

Edit:  Thinking about it for custom lengths and once headphone cable is looking a bit frayed.  

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 6
I get my cable from John. He's a good guy, just avoid the Kapton coated stuff, it's horridly stiff.  And I get my plugs here. The finishing touches I get from Wirecare. Yeah I have to make three orders, but I don't care, I doubt you could find these all in one place at a price that wouldn't be higher than the combined shipping of these places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back