Cables from Monoprice?
Feb 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
My monprice has started to fall apart, I had no sound though 1 speaker I wiggled about at the connector joints and the sound came back the soldering on the cable is shoddy the cable hasn't been mistreated and is the first cable i've had fail, it was a xlr female to trs balanced cable maybe there other cables aren't as bad.

sorry to hear that. you must realize that every company no matter what has problems sometimes.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 23
Monoprice has great value for the money. I have yet to find a better value.

Even if a cable happens to eventually deteriorate, I would be out what, $1.70?

I would happily buy a new cable for that price several times over before I'd cough up $7.99 or more for a RadioShack cable that probably comes off of the same boat from Asia.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #19 of 23
I use them quite a bit, especially for digital cabling of all kinds. They sell good stuff. Analogs I still either make myself from silver or SPC, or buy from Blue Jeans. Yeah, I know, "they don't make any difference". Whatever. :)

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #20 of 23
The monoprice cost alot more here in the uk , £12 for a balanced cable £24 for a pair thats still not a bad price for a cable of that spec if they didn't fall apart. better alternatives are http://diehard.proel.com/dh/en/index.html?cid=13043461396250/11103895625400/11103895625630/&mode=a , cost the same as the monoprice cables but havn't fallen apart yet they seem very well made , http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&isCBA=&asin=&seller=A2N0OD7J28KH8U , I replaced the monoprice cables with these they seem much better made. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #21 of 23
Ive used monoprice cables exclusively for the last 8 years or so, never had a problem... always amazed at the quality construction for the price (for the most part).

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #22 of 23
Neutrik xlr  have a lock system where if you tear or pull the cable itself the force lands on the outside jacket and not on the solder joints. This is why this brand is big in pro markets like concert pa and pro stage lighting. In lighting all the data is connected via xlr So if you have a pulled solder joint in one you have to figure out which of the many in the line that is screwing up your rig...this can take a long time! 

I like Bluejeanscable for hifi audio and monoprice for stuff like usb cables. both great places!

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #23 of 23
I've found Monoprice quality to be hit-or-miss by product.  Their speaker wire is a fantastic bargain, I ran two systems with them, including a pair of the bi-wire cable (yes, it's really being used bi-amped), and a whole mess of their screw-down banana plugs on every termination.   Great stuff. 

Their HDMI cables, I would require them to pay me to take them again.  I've had nothing but trouble from them.   I've had four of their CL2 HDMI cables break under their own weight (meaning I didn't move them around at all after setup.)  This resulted in numerous incidents of thinking my DVD player or AVR had broken and fiddling with the wire for an hour to get it running again.  Their flat CL2 HDMIs seem ok though (different vendor?)  as are the HDMI "pigtails."

Their HDMI switches, while sometimes featuring an ungainly interface and dreadful remote controls are well made and second to none. 

Their analog audio video cables come in two varieties: low gauge and sad (the stuff you get for free with every DVD player), or the Premium which is good stuff, but generally features cheap jacketing and cables that are stiffer than they ought to be.  It's fine for running once, but I don't like the pressure it puts on jacks and tends to leave a messy cord maze that looks something like a Borg contraption.   Their premium digital audio cables seem ok.

I recently bought a different brand of power cords for my Schiit gear (I needed shorter, right angle cords.)  The pictures of the Monoprice ones looked suspiciously like the ones included with the gear.  While just fine power cords, electrically, I noticed they weren't quite to IEC spec for the jack and as such had a little bit of wobble room and I suspect could accidentally be removed if tugged on by mistake.  The C2G one I bought instead was only slightly more expensive but fits the IEC jack snugly without wobble.  It's also a more flexible jacket.

Performance wise most of their stuff is fine, but sometimes their build is either suspect, or ungainly, so it pays to shop around.  There are other good industrial cable companies out there that aren't quite as bottom-of-the-barrel cheap as them but are in a similar "wholesale" pricing bracket and, IMO, sometimes use better materials.

I do like BJC for more important things though, so I'll second that, and I recently learned they carry some stuff that isn't always posted on the website.  They are much more expensive (but far from designer), but I must say that the Belden cable is remarkably well built (and in most cases, it's outdoor rated so it has to be.)  That won't help for USB though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back