Cables for testing!
Apr 16, 2007 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gurra1980

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello!

A HiFi mag in Sweden (HiFi & Music) are planing on maybe doing a aftermarket cable test for HD650/600. Since I am interested in buying a aftermarket cable for my 650 it would be great if this test could be done. They wanted us readers to give advice on what cables to test. So my question would be, what cables are the best and what cables do you guys/gals think is a must for the test. Mabe you can list the cables from most important nr:1, the next most important nr:2 and up.

It would take me a long time to get a view of all the cables an witch are supposed to be the best by doing a search so thats why I'm asking.

Thanx.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 15
Ok, you think so, seems like the views goes widely appart here, have you tested some other cables for the 650?

It seems like I have posted in the wrong part of the forum! So little people are here, should have posted in HPs section, bugger
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the HD650 stock cable is quite good.
2 years ago, when I had my first set of 650's, I've done the mistake of buying a Black Dragon. The cable wasn't bad, of course, and improvements did exist but....
There's a big BUT: they were too subtle to really worth the amount of money I've paid for it - not little money at all. The total cost was even greater than the headphones themselves (counting shipping and custom taxes over the initial price of the cable).
Overall I think that the only cable upgrade that should worth it in HD650's case is a true balanced cable, provided you have a balanced amp. That should definitely do some real good.
Otherwise save the money and upgrade your amplifier or the source. The improvement will be much greater.

.... my 2 cents, hope they help
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't see how this is responsive at all to the OP.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!

A HiFi mag in Sweden (HiFi and Music) are planing on maybe doing a aftermarket cable test for HD650/600. Since I am interested in buying a aftermarket cable for my 650 it would be great if this test could be done. They wanted us readers to give advice on what cables to test. So my question would be, what cables are the best and what cables do you guys/gals think is a must for the test. Mabe you can list the cables from most important nr:1, the next most important nr:2 and up.

When/If the test is done I sure will post the results here
wink.gif

It would take me a long time to get to know all the cables an witch are supposed to be the best by doing a search so thats why I'm asking.

Thanx.

Alex from apuresound.com tops in many headfiers book.. You can see his work by clicking the link in my sig.

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stefan audio arts equinox (i tried)
cardas cable (i tried)
moon audio offerings- blue(i tried), black, silver dragons (i tried)
zu mobius (i tried)
a pure sound i think member here's name is akzip or something

Blue, Silver, Zu mobius, Cardas and APureSound are the ones i have tried extensively. I only got the chance to try out the Stefan one for a short period of time.

Yes, his name is Alex, [AK]Zip on the forum, runs apuresound.com.

I found this to be my preference:
[AK]Zip - hands down.
Silver dragon
Blue dargon
Stefan
Zu
Cardas

All these are worth a test on the HD line up, and you will be amazed how great a difference they make from the stock cable. We had most of those at a local DFW meet too and most would agree with me that [AK]Zip's were the best hands down.

EDIT: im sure you will enjoy the testing, be sure to let us know what you guys think
smily_headphones1.gif
. if you want my opinion i can give you a detailed list on how i feel about each cable as i have tested them all.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

They wanted us readers to give advice on what cables to test.

Here's a a list of sources for the above mentioned:
Zu Senn Mobius
Moon Audio Sliver Dragon, Blue Dragon, Black Dragon, Cardas
Headphile BlackSilver, BlackCopper, BlackMax BlackGold

Can't think of any more at the moment. They probably won't have a balanced amplifier to test on, though, so it's probably easier to go with standard connectors on those.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowmagnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a a list of sources for the above mentioned:
Zu Senn Mobius
Moon Audio Sliver Dragon, Blue Dragon, Black Dragon, Cardas
Headphile BlackSilver, BlackCopper, BlackMax BlackGold

Can't think of any more at the moment. They probably won't have a balanced amplifier to test on, though, so it's probably easier to go with standard connectors on those.

I don't think it hurts to give them advice on balanced cables also, would be interesting read, but I think they use a single ended "Ear one" Headphone Amp.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how this is responsive at all to the OP.
rolleyes.gif

You are right. I completely misunderstood Gurra1980's first post
confused.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 15
I think Zu Mobius, Stefan Audio Arts, and Cardas have to be in the test.

I think something from Blue Moon (Silver Dragon or Black Dragon), RAL, and Headphile should be in included.

Beyond that, I don't really know. Alex's cable sounds interesting.

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Zu Mobius, Stefan Audio Arts, and Cardas have to be in the test.

I think something from Blue Moon (Silver Dragon or Black Dragon), RAL, and Headphile should be in included.

Beyond that, I don't really know. Alex's cable sounds interesting.

Cardas is over rated..
The top 4 headphone cables that need to be tested would be from Alex, Zu, Stefan, & moon audio..

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 15
the cardas cable is so massive unweildy... and weighs a ton.... but thats my opinion.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cardas is over rated..

Depending on who you ask, that probably could be said about every Senn cable, not even considering the non believer POV.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 15
Zu has a new cable called the Mobius-2. It has a flexible cloth like jacket which exhibits no noise when moved around so microphonics is not an issue. It is also very light weight. I'm still burning mine in so I'll wait to say anything about how it sounds but I would recommend adding it to your list for testing. It seems to have addressed many of the problems associated with the original Zu Mobius.

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Hello!

A HiFi mag in Sweden (HiFi and Music) are planing on maybe doing a aftermarket cable test for HD650/600. Since I am interested in buying a aftermarket cable for my 650 it would be great if this test could be done. They wanted us readers to give advice on what cables to test. So my question would be, what cables are the best and what cables do you guys/gals think is a must for the test. Mabe you can list the cables from most important nr:1, the next most important nr:2 and up.

When/If the test is done I sure will post the results here
wink.gif

It would take me a long time to get a view of all the cables an witch are supposed to be the best by doing a search so thats why I'm asking.

Thanx.

I've never tried aftermarket cables. It is interesting to read that people think that they do make a difference.

Be sure to post the results, especially if there is any information about why aftermarket cables make any difference at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back