Cables for Sennheiser HD800 and Schiit Mjolnir
Dec 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AdmiralSquid

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I received the Sennheiser HD800 and Schiit Mjolnir from a raffle at work, I bought the Schiit Gungnir DAC to supplement them. I have some understanding of audio equipment before I got these, I used the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, source was my computer and I had a Asus Xonor sound card.

However, now I have an issue, my HD800's don't have the proper termination to work with the Mjolnir (what a stupid oversight by the raffle organizers). I need a dual 3 pin xlr or 4 pin, neither of which I have. I want someone to recommend me quality cables that fit that criteria, I have a budget of $600 USD. I have seen some of Moon Audio's stuff, I just wasn't sure if it was worth the money or not.

Thank you.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Double Helix Cables will do a complete termination for $215 if I'm not mistaken

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 4
http://www.head-fi.org/t/694251/fs-xlr-balanced-zy-audio-sennheiser-hd800-cable

I think this is a great buy. It costs just a little bit more than what the hd800 connectors themselves cost. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you!

I did a quick search and came up with this:

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=92

I don't want to make any mistakes so if you could answer a couple of questions, that would be most appreciated.

I need to get:

Headphone type: HD800

Sleeving type: (What do you recommend?)

Termination: Neutrik 4-pin XLR?

Choice of Wire: (What do you recommend?)

Y-Split: I don't need this, correct?

Also, I heard that 4 pin is better than dual 3-pin, is this correct? Does the wire material make a large difference (silver vs. copper, etc...)? One last question, I am assuming these are balanced cables correct, because the Mjolnir requires balanced cables.

Thank you so much for the help, sorry for all the questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back