Cables for Focal Utopia Headphones
Dec 7, 2016 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Beng Yeow

Formerly known as benwu
Am looking to pair my Focal Utopia Headphones with Antares from Tron Electric.

Looking for cables for recommendation, preferring 4 pin XLR.

Thanks,
Ben

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 14

Why did u say that?

Because you asked the question almost 4 months with not one reply.  I asked some questions yesterday and got only one response.  I asked another question several months ago and got nothing as well.

I just got a pair Focal Utopia's and ordered a Tron Antares and was curious about your question.  Did you ever come to some conclusions?

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 14
We use Nordost heimdall 2 cables for the Utopia in the store. cuts the slack and I like the feel of them. Have not gotten to hear the difference sonically they provide since I have never used them in a very quiet room. We always have music playing in the store for customers...

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm sorry to bother you and hope you don't mind, but what was your thinking for that decision? The Antares doesn't have balanced inputs so I'm trying to understand the logic behind a balanced connection with the headphones.

Well I too was considering the Tron Antares before I went with the Liquid Gold. Pretty much for the reason of its being it having balanced inputs. There has been a lot of debates on this forum about balanced inputs and if it really makes a difference for a headphone like the Utopia.

All I can say is that in the pipeline of Focal is a Utopia Balanced Amp and a Balanced Cable for the Utopia which was disclosed to me from a reliable source. This headphone does benefit from a balanced output. Having said that from another prospective, that in the direction of upgradability, I would encourage you to get a cable that is balanced so that you do not need to replace the cable should you decide to upgrade from your Tron Antares.

Hope this helps...

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Well I too was considering the Tron Antares before I went with the Liquid Gold. Pretty much for the reason of its being it having balanced inputs. There has been a lot of debates on this forum about balanced inputs and if it really makes a difference for a headphone like the Utopia.

All I can say is that in the pipeline of Focal is a Utopia Balanced Amp and a Balanced Cable for the Utopia which was disclosed to me from a reliable source. This headphone does benefit from a balanced output. Having said that from another prospective, that in the direction of upgradability, I would encourage you to get a cable that is balanced so that you do not need to replace the cable should you decide to upgrade from your Tron Antares.

Hope this helps...

It helps a lot. Thank you.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 14
I've used the Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 (4 pin XLR) since October...sound fantastic with my Utopias, plus excellent ergonomics too.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 14
I have just aquired a pair of Utopia. Sound absolutely stunning with the stock cable to me, loads more detail and things I have never heard before, vocals crystal clear ...amazing cans. Is the Silver Widow much of an improvement and which did you get 18 or 22 AWG ?. As I need a new cable for my Senns HD800 I could use this stock cable for those and upgrade for the Utopias. I also found this on the web...any thoughts .

https://audiobacon.net/2017/03/22/danacable-lazuli-reference-headphone-cable-for-the-focal-utopia/

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #14 of 14
side note to the "4 pin balanced" discussion. If I have the option to choose what connection I want, I always get it terminated balanced 4 pin. I then use a single ended adaptor to it if I ever need/want to go single ended. food for thought gang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back