cables for Bx5s? advice appreciated
Feb 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

norskman

100+ Head-Fier
confused_face(1).gif
[size=x-small]Hi fellow members..
I just wished to get some advice on interconnects & speaker cables for active speakers namely the Audioengine 5s

My source components are a Dell Studio 17 laptop 32 bit & Sandisk Sansa FuseMp3 Player. also new Grado 60i phones and possibly a NU-force UDAC.

I know it is very hard to suggest cables but I do not have the opportunity to audition so require users feedback where possible so i can make a considered judgment?

If members have experience of a similar set up and which cables improved matteres sound wise I would be grateful for any imformation advice e.t.c.
many thanks
Steve
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 9
You don't need speaker cables for the A5's, they are part of the system. Blue Jeans Cables are very well made and will be great for your application.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi There
So I do not require speaker cables..that just shows how much I know
Blue Jean Cables have not heard of them ..hope they are available in Europe?
are they cables to connect the A5s to the laptop..sorry if I sound dum but really do not know so any advcie appreciated

all the best Steve

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 9
The thread title mentions BX5 and the thread body mentions A5. The M-Audio BX5 and Audioengine A5 are different beasts as far as required cables go. They are both active speakers but each goes about it differently. Which do you have?

The Audioengine A5 has an amp inside one speaker and the other speaker is passive. You run a regular speaker cable from the amped speaker to the passive speaker. The Audioengine speakers come with a variety of cables. Should be all the cables you'll need for a standard setup. You can certainly upgrade to better cables, but no need really.

The M-Audio BX5 speakers are both active. The BX5 don't come with cables other than a power cable. You run a line level cable to the back of each speaker. You don't use any speaker cable. The BX5 has inputs on the back for either a balanced XLR cable or a balanced TRS (1/4" tip ring sleeve plug just like a headphone plug). You can add an adapter to either the XLR connector or the TRS connector to convert the plug into an unbalanced RCA style connector. Then you can use regular RCA cables and connect to your standard computer sound card or standard home audio. The cheaper way to do the adapter is to go to radio shack and get 1/4" TRS to female RCA adapter which come as a pair for about $5. XLR to female RCA adapters are around $15 for a pair depending on where you buy.

Don't worry about fancy cable for either the A5 or BX5. I use Hosa 1/4" TRS cables with my M-Audio BX8a speakers. Hosa are cheap cables. No need for fancy stuff at this level. The BX5 and A5 honestly aren't up to it.

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Hi Ham Sandwich
many thanks for your reply.much appreciated..Yes I am sorry about the thread title I meant to change to A5s..because for quite a while the Bx5s were my choice but decided the A5s much better proposition.

I thank you for your advice re not bothering re cables for the A5s..so I really need to ask which is the best method of connecting my Dell Studio laptop to the A5s? is there one way better than another

your help on this appreciated

all the best Steve

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 9
The best way to hook it all up is relative to what is convenient for you, what gear you have, and what all you want connected at the same time.

The A5 has a variety of input and output options. Easy way for now till you get something like the uDAC would be to connect the A5 to the line-out plug of your laptop and connect the headphones to the headphone out of your laptop. If you get a uDAC later you can connect everything through the uDAC.

The A5 has a mini plug input on the top of the speaker. Use that for connecting your portable player to the A5.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Just a touch more advice appreciated?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Again from Norway...
L3000.gif

Must thank you very much indeed for the really good advice..

Ok this is the state of play as I write.
Source = Laptop Dell Studio 32 bit +Sansa Fuse 8gb MP3+Grado 60 i

Hopefully Audioengine A5s on there way very soon?

I was looking at the Nu-Force UDAC until folk on AudioReview Forums suggested the Headroom TotalBithead

The UDAC also comes with glowing reviews? and I have asked Jason @Nu force to source me a "B"Grade Model which he is trying to do.But if the Bit-Head is better in more ways that the UDAC the Bit Head gets the Vote!

So if you could help a little bit more I would be very obliged to you and anyone else..I do not intend to travel to much with laptop maybe the MP3 & Amp/Dac? but not that often..I would still prefer though a small Portable Amp/Dac(rather than a desktop-home version)

so I will look forward very much indeed to hearing further many thanks
Regards Steve
beerchug.gif

P.S. Hope you can understand,I am just trying to get it as right as I am able..
and not being very clever does not help when it comes to Audio issues..so thanks for your patience

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 9
I don't have, and have never used, a uDAC or an A5. I can't offer much in the way of specifics about either of them, just generalities. Hopefully someone else will jump in.

You may also want to ask over in "Computer Audio" about things like the uDAC and how to get something like that integrated into a computer audio system and how to get audio software to play with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back