cables are placebo
Jul 3, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #496 of 519
To put it another way, ASCC tells you how much current can be delivered to the point of measurement before the cable itself explodes or melts.  As Steve noted, this is important when designing and installing electrical systems so you can be sure your circuit breakers exceed this rating by the appropriate safety factor, and will thus still do their jobs should an open arc or other catastrophic electrical failure occur.  So the video demonstrates that it takes less current to melt a thin cable than it does to melt a thick one.  Genius!  Do you think it matters much whether your cable explodes at 590 amps, or 1,010 amps, when your circuit breaker will trip at 20?  So someone please tell me what this maximum worst-case scenario rating has to do with audio, except to make sure that when you hot-wire your stereo into a generator during the zombie apocalypse, your amp will catch fire before the power cable does?

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #498 of 519
  Now this is an example of Cable Placebo and the Flash Mob of Audiophiles.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/13620#post_11736762

The reason why you small minded Science types can't appreciate that ANY aftermarket cable will give you vastly better sound is that you limit your measurements to the "accepted spectrum." The aftermarket cables work directly on the brainwaves and bypass any measurements in the electromagnetic spectrum. See below (and YES, my EYES ARE ROLLING and I AM kidding). BTW: there is Snake Oil Below-use with CAUTION!

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #499 of 519
@Exacoustatowner At first I thought you lost your mind. 
biggrin.gif
 Once you brought up brainwaves, well even the audiophile elite can't believe that Schiit or can they?

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #500 of 519
@Steve Eddy
 These kind of crazy cases commonly sway the uninitiated audiophile and how they hold onto this BS in light of a proper explanation gives me a headache.

Me too. I really need to get a grip on my self-control and keep out of the forums. It really is a Sisyphusian folly to think that it's ever going to change anything.

se

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #501 of 519
Me too. I really need to get a grip on my self-control and keep out of the forums. It really is a Sisyphusian folly to think that it's ever going to change anything.

se

Yeah, it's like beating a dead horse and expecting it to get up and run.
deadhorse.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #502 of 519
  @Exacoustatowner At first I thought you lost your mind. 
biggrin.gif
 Once you brought up brainwaves, well even the audiophile elite can't believe that Schiit or can they?

Hi Stan

Yes, I have lost my mind-let me know if you see it anywhere! And ABSOLUTELY some portion of the ELITE can believe this Schiit. I think the link will explain it all. Read a little about this nonsense-which is where the "Expanded Spectrum" plot came from. If people can believe-and pay for this- they will pay for ANYTHING. Special After Market Cables that stimulate the brain directly? ABSOLUTELY! NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE this stuff! It is fake science of the smoothest type.

http://www.theportacle.com/products/ comes with some decent headphones btw. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #503 of 519

se

Or just let go and have fun with it. Just don't lose your sense of right and wrong and go into the Snake Oil biz (not that I think you would!)

I do think you guys save some people money. For instance, I came backinto audiophilia this year-after being away for  a LONG time. I saw all these claims for cables-and thought- THAT does not make any sense-based on what I recalled from my Electromagnetism class at the U. I thought-the resistance, capacitance, etc are likely all too small in the short run of cable to make much difference. But there were multitudes of claims by so many that I thought I MIGHT be missing something. I thought-should I spend money on an aftermarket cable? The forum helped me realize that I was probably right to start with. I followed links you guys posted showing measurements of the various cheap to exotic cables. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #504 of 519
  Hi Stan

Yes, I have lost my mind-let me know if you see it anywhere! And ABSOLUTELY some portion of the ELITE can believe this Schiit. I think the link will explain it all. Read a little about this nonsense-which is where the "Expanded Spectrum" plot came from. If people can believe-and pay for this- they will pay for ANYTHING. Special After Market Cables that stimulate the brain directly? ABSOLUTELY! NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE this stuff! It is fake science of the smoothest type.

http://www.theportacle.com/products/ comes with some decent headphones btw. 

Portacle, it sounds more like a Porta Potty.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #505 of 519

se

Or just let go and have fun with it. Just don't lose your sense of right and wrong and go into the Snake Oil biz (not that I think you would!)

Steve still has a strong sense of ethics, we're safe, for now.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #506 of 519
Perhaps if the cable is wrapped around my neck, cutting off circulation, it could impact the impression of what I am hearing?  My cables didn't come with any instruction manual.  Maybe we are just using them incorrectly?

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #507 of 519

Not to worry. I've grown too accustomed to sleeping well at night.

I'm just going to put more focus on a broader market. One where people appreciate high quality, great ergonomics and aesthetics, but isn't full of a bunch of obsessive neurotics. :p

se

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #509 of 519
  Perhaps if the cable is wrapped around my neck, cutting off circulation, it could impact the impression of what I am hearing?  My cables didn't come with any instruction manual.  Maybe we are just using them incorrectly?

I smell a LAWSUIT! There is NO warning label on the cables NOT to wrap it around your neck!

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #510 of 519
Not to worry. I've grown too accustomed to sleeping well at night.

I'm just going to put more focus on a broader market. One where people appreciate high quality, great ergonomics and aesthetics, but isn't full of a bunch of obsessive neurotics.
tongue.gif

se

:) Where is the magic place with fewer obsessed neurotics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back