Cables and Snake Oil - Please read before you are fooled!
Dec 31, 2010 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 175

akart

100+ Head-Fier
I thought this article was very interesting and does a good job explaining why expensive audio and power cables are for the illiterate customer:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/audiophoolery.html

Hope you like it. Happy reading!

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 175
nothing foolish about diffferent cables. copper vs copper plated silver vs silver all sound different
same with copper vs gold vs rhodium connectors

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 175
Yea most cables are constructed differently from different materials, also you have to consider the quality of the connection from the wire to the connector, poor quality solder will add more resistance , where silver solder is alot less resistive even better are crimp plugs which have no extra resistance, also to consider is sheilded or unshielded depends if interference is a problem for you, but i don't think theres really any difference between the different types of shields.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 175
Good read. I think this is the same guy from the AES audio myths workshop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 175

Read and none to impressed.  Like all of the cable debates here, the anti guy seems a little ticked off for some reason and only says "science, science, science".  I "listen" to my gear and music, I don't "science" it.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 175
The guy gets a fair bit of flak around him from what I've heard. Some of his other articles are ok, but others meh, and he's got one really "awkward" video on his site too...

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 175
^ Good read, thanks!

Unfortunately, although the first article describes that the electrical characteristics of different wire are different (no brainer), it does not present any information on whether this makes any audible difference.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 175
wires sound different, it's subjective as to which is "better"

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 175
  ^ Good read, thanks!

Unfortunately, although the first article describes that the electrical characteristics of different wire are different (no brainer), it does not present any information on whether this makes any audible difference.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 175
Quote:
wires sound different, it's subjective as to which is "better"

Nicely Said!        But I'll add, If they want to use "LAMP CORD" for their speaker connections HAVE AT IT!!!! 
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 175
sure, a 100 foot run of single-ended 18 gauge wire will prove fatal vs. a 5 foot run of 12 gauge balanced wire

when it comes to what you previously alluded to, that there is a difference between silver, spc, copper, and the like.... prove it, and I'll buy you a new car

Quote:
wires sound different

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 175

Quote:
Quote:
Nicely Said!        But I'll add, If they want to use "LAMP CORD" for their speaker connections HAVE AT IT!!!! 
wink.gif

Thats whats seperates our two sides.  Cable believers have no need to convert or question the other side.  We're happy with our setups and generally have the mindset of "to each his own".  Cable Atheist however seem to have a compulsive need to "be right" and to educate us "easily tricked - placebo prone - marketing victims".   

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 175

Quote:
sure, a 100 foot run of single-ended 18 gauge wire will prove fatal vs. a 5 foot run of 12 gauge balanced wire

when it comes to what you previously alluded to, that there is a difference between silver, spc, copper, and the like.... prove it, and I'll buy you a new car

Come over to Georgia and take a listen to my rig, then we can go get me a car.  And I prefer used and cheap to new and expensive so I'd be your best bet.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 175
Somewhere in a dark cave, amongst a million hungry and dehydrated baby bats, a scarred infant intently listens . Amidst a million high pitched squeals it senses a change , the approaching rush of wings, millions of parent bats returning , finally .

And there ,crystal clear and without a doubt , a shriek so emphatically familiar , the infant responds with its call, the bond is made amongst millions and there is ,   survival. 

Someday we will understand how they tell apart  . Today we just know they do.

If they do not , they die !

Enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back