Cable talk from a Belden Technologist
May 2, 2006 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rocktboy

100+ Head-Fier
May 2, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 3
Great links...I'm sure it will draw the ire of people who believe in cables. IMO there can be some differences in speaker cables and interconnects as well but I think that it is just due to the coloration that some cables add to the sound. Some people might prefer some of the changes but if one is looking for neutrality I'm not exactly sure where to look for that. Now, I will pay a little more for a cable that is attractive, but I'm a realist when it comes to my own listening ability and I don't think I could tell you which cable was which in most abx cases. I have the G52 replacement cable for the HD650 and I really love it because I can actually here a difference between it, the stock, and the cardas I had and I happen to prefer the sound of the G52. I'm not sure it's the most neutral or even of the fact that I might just might be fooling myself but in the end it's what makes me happy and that's the bottom line when it comes to cables.

One last thought, one of the articles also mentioned the fact that some cable manufacturers list their copper as 99.9999% instead of 99.95% and I've also just always found it personally hard to believe that .0499% makes any difference what so ever in SQ but like all things in life, I could be wrong.

May 4, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 3
I bought Lampen's textbook a few years back. He says that the best analog audio cables are digital cables (like Cat 5 or 6), since they HAVE TO BE low in capacitance in order to work at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back