Cable suggestion for DIY Sennheiser cable project
Jan 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Capt. Z

500+ Head-Fier
Recently got a Sennheiser HD580 headphone and am planning to make myself a DIY cable for it. Needing about 12 - 15 ft.

I do have some Canare L-4E6S I could use, but in my experience Canare has full bass and mids, but slightly recessed highs. So I am looking for a cable that has good(smooth) high end extension.

Cardas connectors are over $ 20 and very heat sensitive, so I can not experiment with different wires.

Therefore I need to get it right the first time around. Besides, I live in the UK and shipping for some cable is almost the price of the wire itself.

Been thinking of using some Mogami 2534 or 2893. Silver cable would be nice but need to keep the cost somewhat down and in perspective to the price of the HD580.

But before I order some wire, I would like to listen to your suggestions.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 5
You may want to try the DIY section....

+1

In this part of the world people use the Conducfil Sonolene 3014 (or the 3414 model), quite a stiff cable, but still acceptable.
Remember to plug the Cardas connector into the headphone sockets (the metodology is the same as with the bullet plug connectors from Eichmann) and then to solder the wires, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Remember to plug the Cardas connector into the headphone sockets (the metodology is the same as with the bullet plug connectors from Eichmann) and then to solder the wires, it's better to be safe than sorry.

And just to add to that, remember, flux is your friend. Pre-tin your wires, applying some flux before tinning. Then apply flux again when soldering them to the connectors. Avoid high temperature silver-bearing solders. 63/37 is fine, has a low melting temperature and wets well.

Good luck!

se

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks,

Found some Mogami 2893 here in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back