Cable replacement for 280s
Aug 26, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 5
I'd like to know if anyone has tried any cable replacement on the 280's as well.

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 5
Shame on me for not updating this. I've had a fairly detailed discussion with James Serdechy of Stefan Audioart. Apparently, the HD280s are not "really" user replacable, even though they show the diagrams on how to replace the cables in the manual. He spoke with Sennheiser and they told him that you can send the phones it to have the cable replaced -- the diagram was only intended for folks such as sound engineers if they want to replace the cable. The HD280s are supposedly marketed to studio-types.

The question is -- is Sennheiser telling the truth? I'm looking at the manual right now and it looks as if any cable replacement would require at least SOME soldering. There appears to be a proprietary connector. The connector, I suppose, could be cut from the stock cable and soldered to the replacement, but the easiest fit. Of course, you still have the Sennheiser connector running from the left to the right ear (same problem with cable replacement for the 590s, I guess).

I do own a Stefan Audioart Vision 1 cable, but I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice it, and possibly the 280s to do a swap.

Aug 27, 2002 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 5
acs236,

Thanx for the reply. Sounds like more of a pain in the butt than it's probably worth. Too bad though cause it would be interesting to see what kind of changes could be made with a cable.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back