Cable repair
Jun 13, 2021 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zamorin

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought a IEM cable from KBear but it gives a muddled underwater kind of sound unless I hold the plug of the cable tight with my hands connecting to the port. Is there a way I can repair it myself? The seller I bought from at Shopee was ok with the return but Shopee rejected and refunded me the money instead. Pix of the cable plug below. thx.

IMG_20210613_143909.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210613_143723.jpg
    IMG_20210613_143723.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Depends how the plug is constructed. Sounds like a weak solder connection. Sometimes the barrel of the plug unscrews to reveal the contacts, sometimes it's just friction fit, often glued. Easiest fix would probably be to cut the current plug off, buy a new plug, and solder that on. It may not end up looking pretty though.

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Depends how the plug is constructed. Sounds like a weak solder connection. Sometimes the barrel of the plug unscrews to reveal the contacts, sometimes it's just friction fit, often glued. Easiest fix would probably be to cut the current plug off, buy a new plug, and solder that on. It may not end up looking pretty though.
Thank you. From the pix I posted, the plug seems to be a single piece, maybe I am missing/ can't see the place where 2 pieces would be connected, then atleast I could have tried opening it to check the connection. I think I should get a solder set, got 2 other iems with loose connections. :)

Jun 13, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you. From the pix I posted, the plug seems to be a single piece, maybe I am missing/ can't see the place where 2 pieces would be connected, then atleast I could have tried opening it to check the connection. I think I should get a solder set, got 2 other iems with loose connections. :)
Yeah I honestly don't know how to open that particular plug. There's a good chance it's glued. Grab a cheap soldering iron and go to town!

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah I honestly don't know how to open that particular plug. There's a good chance it's glued. Grab a cheap soldering iron and go to town!
I will do that else it's just a waste, the cable is very nice other than that. I just saw your iem collection, just want to know how is the Starfield compared to Kz ZSX? Is it better/ much better than ZSX? I was thinking of getting either the Starfield or the TRI Starsea. I like the ZSX sound but is a bit fatiguing to me compared to Blon BL-03 etc (which doesn't have much clarity/ instrument separation for me). Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 7
I will do that else it's just a waste, the cable is very nice other than that. I just saw your iem collection, just want to know how is the Starfield compared to Kz ZSX? Is it better/ much better than ZSX? I was thinking of getting either the Starfield or the TRI Starsea. I like the ZSX sound but is a bit fatiguing to me compared to Blon BL-03 etc (which doesn't have much clarity/ instrument separation for me). Thanks.
The ZSX holds it's own at the price point, but the Starfield is better across the board. Worth 2-3x? Hard to say.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back